For marketers working to reach new audiences online, insights into competitors’ brand-building activities, strengths and weaknesses, and opportunities to reach and capture their audience can play a powerful role in driving success. However, such competitive insights have mostly been available to companies with vast resources and their own analytics teams.
Alexa Site Overview
The Alexa.com Site Overview service – which already serves more than three million unique users each month – provides highly-relevant data pertaining to a marketer’s website, audience, and keyword gaps and opportunities. It also offers the same data on any competitor site. Rather than overwhelm marketers with a bulk of data that is unstructured, uninterpreted, and requires extensive analysis before any insights can be gained, the Site Overview service performs the needed complex analysis automatically. Marketers can input a website, and Site Overview will return a custom list of keyword opportunities for that site, as well as a list of the top websites competing for the site’s audience, the site’s traffic metrics in comparison with the average of the top competing sites, and other competitor insights.
By enabling marketers to identify opportunities where competitors are currently leveraging key advantages to reach audiences that their own brand has yet to approach, Site Overview makes it fairly simple for marketers to take data-backed actions.
“In the last few years, we’ve made big moves to help digital marketers drive real impact in their organizations with the addition of intelligent SEO, SEM and content analysis capabilities. The new Site Overview service is now a central hub for marketers who don’t have the resources to handle a deluge of data, but need direct and effective insights they can act on quickly. By keeping tabs on where competitors are finding success, marketers can discover their own competitive edge.”
Andrew Ramm, President of Alexa.com
Alexa Site Overview Features
Released June 27th, Site Overview’s new capabilities are designed to provide marketers with insights ready to be put into action, across areas including customized keyword opportunities, competitive analysis, audience insights, and web traffic statistics:
Keyword opportunities – Site Overview curates site keyword recommendations across a number of categories to equip marketers and agencies with quick content strategy recommendations.
- Keyword gaps: Determines keywords currently providing traffic for competitors, which the marketer’s site has yet to utilize.
- Easy-to-rank keywords: Targets popular keywords which the marketer’s site should have the competitive power to successfully rank well for.
- Buyer keywords: Recommends keywords used by members of site’s audience that likely intend to make a purchase.
- Optimization opportunities: Identifies popular keywords that currently drive traffic to the marketer’s site, but could be optimized to drive more.
Competitive analysis – Offers benchmarks to compare the marketer’s site side-by-side with competitors.
- Traffic sources: Compares the percentage of overall search engine traffic to the marketer’s site versus competitor sites.
- Referral sites (backlinks): Compares the number of referral sites driving traffic to the marketer’s site versus competitor sites.
- Top keywords: Displays the top search terms that drive traffic to the marketer’s site, and those driving traffic to competitor sites.
Audience insights – Recommends unique opportunities to reach prospective customers based on site audience browsing behaviors.
- Audience interests: Displays the categories a site’s audience finds interesting, and other sites serving those interests that the audience visits.
- Audience overlap: Identifies sites competing for the attention of a shared audience.
Traffic statistics – Marketers can evaluate site popularity, engagement, and growth potential using this reporting of monthly site metrics and traffic statistics.
- Alexa rank: Shows a site’s overall global internet traffic and engagement ranking.
- Audience geography: Displays the estimated percentages of site visitors by country.
- Site metrics: Displays a site’s engagement, traffic sources, site flow, and total backlink metrics.
Advantages for Brand and Agency Marketers
Agency marketers will likely also find Site Overview’s site analysis capabilities valuable in helping them recognize digital opportunities for clients (ideally increasing retention). Agencies and consultants can also leverage Site Overview tools, such as the easy-to-rank keywords tool, to target prospective clients for with improvements specific to their use case.
“People have an emotional reaction when they see that competitors are beating them at something. This is the fastest way to see what's working for them and not for you. Even at a glance, I've found 3-4 actions I can take to get better results.”
Andy Crestodina, co-founder and Chief Marketing Officer of Orbit Media
By offering new and deep visibility into the activities and successes enjoyed by competitors, and supplying the refined insights needed to pursue opportunities effectively, Alexa.com’s Site Overview should enable marketers to make more accurate tactical decisions and realize those same competitor successes for themselves.