Back-to-School is the second biggest shopping season of the year and the digital world has become an integral part of the customer’s path-to-purchase. Here are some amazing stats associated with Back-to-School shopping:
- 17.2% of the entire year’s retail sales happen during back-to-school shopping Tweet This!
- 68% of the third quarter’s retail sales happen during back-to-school shopping Tweet This!
- $828 billion is spent annually on back-to-school shopping Tweet This!
- The average household spends $606 on back-to-school shopping Tweet This!
- The average household with college students spends $1,086 on back-to-school shopping Tweet This!
This infographic from The Shelf, Rock Your Back-To-School Sales & Marketing, reveals 6 ways that marketers can capitalize on back-to-school shopping:
- Mommy Bloggers – Get in front of influencial Mommy bloggers to build awareness and drive sales for your products.
- Cool Kids – Whether its clothing, shoes, backpacks or tablets… kids want to show off so focus on how your products are on fleek. “On fleek” is a neologism that means “On Point”… I looked it up!
- Emotional Context – Product features aren’t enough, your content needs to build emotional context around product purchase decisions.
- Visual Social – Snap, Facebook, Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest are all great platforms for kids and parents to find shopping ideas. Get visual!
- Gift Influencers – Can’t afford hiring an influencer? Send them your products as a gift to see if you can get a mention.
- Discounts – 40% more purchases were influenced by deal-hunting last year and 9.9% of all shoppers said their purchases were influenced 100% by deals.
And your most important tip? While a majority of purchases are made at a physical location, remember that the customer journey weaves between online and the physical location. Enable consumers to research online and build a seamless experience to drive them to your front door!