iBeacon technology is the latest booming trend in mobile and proximity-based marketing. The technology connects businesses with nearby customers through Bluetooth low-energy transmitters (beacons), sending coupons, product demos, promotions, videos or information directly to their mobile device.
iBeacon is the latest technology from Apple, and this year at the annual World Wide Developer’s conference, iBeacon technology was a main topic of discussion.
With Apple teaching thousands of developers more about the technology, and companies like BeaconStream offering an app for businesses to use the technology and capabilities to incorporate it into existing apps, we can only expect to see iBeacon grow rapidly and creatively.
For marketers, iBeacons and proximity-based marketing offer a new and direct way to connect with customers, increase brand awareness and impact consumer purchasing behavior.
- Drives people to an immediate purchase. Gone are the days of direct mail marketing and QR codes. iBeacon technology gives businesses a way to directly connect with potential customers when they are more likely to make a purchase–when they are nearby or in the store. Businesses can send offers to entice purchasing or to encourage supplemental purchases through messages and coupons.
- Gives companies a direct line to customers. Unlike other forms of marketing, proximity-based mobile marketing gives brands a friendly way to get their message into the hands of their customers, literally. While an in-store promotion sign may be passed and ignored, sending a message directly to a customer’s phone creates better engagement. It’s also a unique way to show brand personality and build a stronger brand relationship with customers.
- Multiple touch points with your customer. One location can have multiple, distinct beacons, each offering a different message. This provides multiple opportunities to connect with a customer and drive them to take action. While a promotion mailed directly to a customer’s house may go unused or drive them to buy a singular item, beacons allow businesses to send customers several relevant offers that entice purchasing. Beacons market to a customer’s location, sending multiple promotions on items that are relevant to their needs, all in real time.
- Beacons give businesses unique consumer analytics. When utilizing the technology through an app like BeaconStream, businesses have access to live-time analytics and insights on consumer behaviors, foot traffic, trends and shopping behaviors that can help them to better sharpen their marketing and sales strategies. The analytics can help companies determine which promotions and campaigns worked and allow them to adjust instantaneously to these insights.
- iBeacon and proximity-based marketing is not a fad. Marketers already know the power of mobile marketing, and iBeacon technology is a welcome addition to a comprehensive marketing strategy. Top brands like Macys, Starbucks and American Airlines have already heavily invested in it, and are seeing the power and benefits of proximity-based marketing. With major players pushing the technology, we can soon expect to see more features added, such as on-the-spot mobile payments, making purchasing even easier for customers and driving more sales for businesses.