My next tippee is Ryan who runs an entrepreneurial blog, called The Self Reliant Post. The Self-Reliant Post is a blog about how to make money with an online home business and other thoughts related to it. (I snagged that last sentence from the About page.)
Here are your Blog Tips:
- Doh! Did I just get spammed? When I first noticed the domain name with all those hyphens, that’s the first thought that hit me. After I built up the nerve to click-through, I then found a reasonable site. I was worried first, though!
You may want to seriously consider finding a new domain name. That said – there’s no need to lose any ranking you currently have. Simply start phasing out this domain and using a new one for your site. This is all my opinion, of course!
- There’s something funky going on with your style sheet. The footer is left aligned and the center (content) div doesn’t run the length of the page to the footer. I’m taking a guess, but I think you might have a rogue closing div mark around (>/div>) on your main page. Other pages seem to render correctly.
- Here’s a good one… did you know that Search Engines do not crawl all the content on a web page? They pull content from the top of the page to identify keywords and index them appropriately. If you want to have content drive your search engine placement, be sure to push content to the top of the page. In your layout, you actually put both sidebars before your content! Without hurting your theme at all, you should be able to move the content div above the sidebars and begin to index that content far more efficiently.
- You’ve done a nice job of identifying your feed address in your sidebar but I found a goof that could be hurting you! In your header there’s a set of alternate links that point to your RSS feed. Browsers use this alternate link to display the “RSS” button in them for you to subscribe easier. The problem is that the alternate link is your core feed address (there’s also a link to this in your left sidebar about half-way down). You may actually have a lot more people subscribed to your site than you think because they aren’t being measured with FeedPress.
To fix the header, find these three lines:
<link href="http://financial-self-reliance.net/fsrblog/feed/" title="RSS 2.0" type="application/rss+xml" rel="alternate"/>
<link href="http://financial-self-reliance.net/fsrblog/feed/rss/" title="RSS .92" type="text/xml" rel="alternate"/>
<link href="http://financial-self-reliance.net/fsrblog/feed/atom/" title="Atom 0.3" type="application/atom+xml" rel="alternate"/>
And replace it with this:
<link href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheSelf-reliantPost" title="RSS" type="application/rss+xml" rel="alternate"/>
I would simply delete the feed links in the left sidebar since folks will find it with the feed symbol or via the browser.
- Headings are attention grabbers – not just for readers but also for Search Engines. The headings of your posts are h3 while the headings of your sidebar sections are h2. There’s a good possibility that the Search Engines are ranking you higher for the term Recent Comments than Make Money with Context Ads. You’ll need to modify your style sheet and your theme to correct these issues.
- You’re fibbing to me by putting a link up that says “Contact Me”. When I click on that, I’m brought to a page where I can’t contact you! Doh! I think a contact form would look perfect right in that page!
- Please follow up on this work and be sure to read my other Blog-Tipping for PGA Auctions, especially with regard to robots.txt and sitemap.xml. I believe you can vastly improve your web presence and search engine presence with the tips in that post!
That should keep you busy for a while! Thanks for letting me check your blog out! I don’t think a lot of people realize how much of an impact style and layout can play in Search Engine Optimization. It’s worked with my site quite a bit so I like to pass on the tips that someone taught me!
How to get your Blog Tipped
If you’d like your Blog Tipped, simply follow the directions on my Blog Tipping Post.