As I was preparing to teach a course on Measuring Social Media with Web Analytics this week, a chunk of the training was – again – providing attendees with the information they need on how to properly tag their campaigns utilizing a web analytics tool like Google Analytics. I almost always refer directly to the URL builder for Google Analytics – but it really bugs me how haphazard the tool is with respect to an overall analytics strategy.
Campaigns aren’t simply an afterthought when providing a link to promote your content, an offer or an event. You need to plan out what your tags are going to be, ensure you don’t have duplication, and be able to monitor them easily. It’s just my opinion, but when you login to Google Analytics and go to the Campaign Section, you should be provided a really nice interface right there that displays your campaigns and allows you to add more campaigns.
That’s just what CampaignAlyzer has accomplished. CampaignAlyzer makes campaign tagging easy. It takes a minute to setup a new campaign, and you can start driving relevant traffic to your website in the most efficient way. It’s a vendor agnostic campaign tagging solution – working with Google Analytics, Webtrends or Adobe SiteCatalyst (Omniture).
Features of CampaignAlyzer:
- Easy Access – CampaignAlyzer is a web-based application that acts as a central repository platform where organizations can store their marketing campaign values in one database. This way, marketing agencies and digital marketers across an organization can collaborate in tagging different online and offline campaigns, and ensure consistency in their campaign tagging.
- Channel Reports – CampaignAlyzer ensures tagging consistency by providing a “how to” tagging model for application users. Users can conveniently reference previous values and campaigns as a future guide. CampaignAlyzer also ensures clean channel reports by restricting users to pre-defined mediums for tagging. Only administrators have access to adjust the channels/mediums list.
- Role-Based Access – CampaignAlyzer allows account owners and administrators to easily set up any number of users the plan selected allows and grant them the account access privileges desired. Users are either 1) administrators who have full access to all campaigns and account settings 2) editors who can add, remove and edit campaigns 3) or read-only users who can simply view reports.
- Annotations – With CampaignAlyzer, users can annotate campaigns for future reference and clarify questions about the campaign. Annotations are stored in our database, so there is open access to all the latest information about any given campaign.
- Tagged URL Case – Campaign parameters can come in a mixture of upper and lower case due to inconsistent tagging naming convention. This can cause visits to be spread out over different entries in the traffic sources report, which makes analysis more difficult. CampaignAlyzer provides the option to force all campaign parameters to lower case, consolidating entries and making for easier reporting and analysis.
- Bulk Campaign Management – This advanced feature is specifically useful for large-scale campaign management. With bulk campaign management, you can easily move campaigns that are created using other programs, such as Microsoft Excel or Google Docs, and import them into CampaignAlyzer.
- Data Export – Organizations may want to share campaigns and tagged URLs with third party marketing agencies, without granting them access to the tool. CampaignAlyzer solves this issue by providing a platform for exporting campaigns into Excel, CSV and tab delimited files.
- Attribution Model – Some organizations prefer to attribute their online conversions to the very first campaign, instead of the most recent. Google Analytics, by default, attributes the conversion to the most recent campaign. CampaignAlyzer provides the option to track use by either model. If the first-touch tracking model is preferred, CampaignAlyzer will append the “utm_nooverride=1“ query parameter to the end of all tagged URLs.
- URL Shortener – CampaignAlyzer utilizes the Google URL shortening service [goo.gl] for easy URL sharing and distribution across social media and other marketing channels. This service provides the option of using a short version of tagged destination URLs.