Display advertising continues to advance in its sophistication as we previously discussed on our interview regarding Programmatic Advertising with Pete Kluge of Adobe. If you're thinking about expanding your promotions into display advertising, there are quite a few ways available to target your advertising impressions to try to capture more relevant audiences, higher click-through rates, and improved conversions:
- Brand Targeting – by evaluating the content on the page and identifying brand or product names, you can initiate ads based on visitors seeking your products or your competitors' products.
- Channel Targeting – display advertising networks offer built-in discreet channels for engaging sites with different interests. News, sports, food, entertainment, etc.
- Device Targeting – advertising can be targeted towards mobile, tablet and different display types.
- Demographic Targeting – age, gender, race, wealth, title, and other demographic information.
- Geographic Targeting – country, state, county, city, neighborhood, postal code, latitude and longitude boundaries or radius.
- Keyword Targeting – display ad networks are getting much better at evaluating the content on the page and showing relevant ads based on keywords selected by the advertiser.
- Interest Targeting – based on the visitor's browsing behavior, purchase history and relevance of the site, ads can be targeted by interest like sports, cooking, politics, etc.
- In-Market Targeting – real-time display ads on offers or related products when the visitor is on your site researching or shopping.
- Retargeting – when a visitor arrives on your site and then leaves, the ad network has a third-party cookie allowing them to see them on alternate sites where they can be presented an offer to return.
- Search Retargeting – when a visitor searches, arrives on your site and then leaves, the search engine's ad network has a third-party cookie allowing them to see them on alternate searches where they can be presented with an offer to return.
- Site Targeting – there are many marketing technology companies who wish to reach our audience, so we have our display network and self-service portal where advertisers can purchase ad impressions directly.
- Time-Based Targeting – Time of the day, day-parting, or time-based events after your visitor takes an action on your site.
- Social Graph Targeting – popularity, influence, relevance, and following.
Newer systems are even predicting the likelihood of a visitor clicking through based on a real-time evaluation of the visitor who arrives and displaying an appropriate advertisement. Keep in mind that, even with basic queries, marketers can construct highly targeted scenarios based on combinations of the different display advertising target capabilities. Not all display advertising networks offer every type, so be sure to evaluate the ad network.
View from MediaMath.