When marketers discuss e-commerce personalization, they typically talk about one or two features but miss all the opportunities to create a unique and individualized shopping experience for their visitor. Online retailers who have implemented all 4 features – like Disney, Uniqlo, Converse and O’Neill – are seeing the incredible results:
- 70% increase in ecommerce visitor engagement Tweet This!
- 300% increase in revenue per search Tweet This!
- 26% increase in conversion rates Tweet This!
While that sounds amazing, the industry is failing to implement these strategies. Reflektion has released the 2015 RSR Personalization Report, giving leading retailers a grade of F:
- 85% treat return shoppers the same as first time visitors Tweet This!
- 52% do not tailor content according to desktop, tablet or smartphone Tweet This!
- 74% have no memory of past products browsed by users during previous visits Tweet This!
A fully implemented e-commerce personalization strategy has 4 key strategies:
- Interactions – tailored content based on buying history
- Recommendations – recommended, related and relevant product recommendations
- Smart Search – autocompletion in the search bar, historical relevance on searches
- Adaptive Pages – dynamic home pages for new and returning users on both desktop and mobile
Carroll leveraged Personify's Small World Community to build an online community with powerful gamification, personalization and reporting to support engagement and measured results, and this has translated to a 30% increase in yield rate for the 2018 semester.