It wasn’t too long ago that consumers weren’t really that comfortable entering their credit card data online to make a purchase. They didn’t trust the site, they didn’t trust the store, they didn’t trust the shipping… they just didn’t trust anything. Years later, though, and the average consumer is making more than half of all their purchases online!
Combined with purchasing activity, an incredible selection of ecommerce platforms, an unending supply of distribution sites, and a rock-bottom barrier to entry… ecommerce is skyrocketing in both sophistication and growth. Keeping that in mind, it’s important to underestimate how you’re going to differentiate your store online.
SSL2Buy, a global SSL provider, has come up with ten eCommerce trends to watch for in 2017 compiled into this beautiful infographic:
- The End of Black Friday and Cyber Monday – since you don’t need to leave your couch and fight in lines, ecommerce is reducing the impact of these sales days and purchase behavior is spreading to the entire month of Cyber November.
- More Personalized and Dynamic Shopping Experiences – platforms that track purchase decisions and behaviors are finally accurate and can help online stores provide personalized behaviors that reduce buying friction and provide product recommendations that buyers actually want.
- Consumers will interact with Artificial Intelligence – Shopping, booking, and customer service chatbots will be accurately and efficiently answering online shopping questions, improving the ecommerce experience, engaging users, and driving them to increase shopping cart value while reducing abandonment.
- Accurately predicting the Customer’s Next Purchase – The ability to collect and analyze big data is providing highly accurate forecasting and predictive models that are being used to put offers in front of the consumer at the very moment they need it.
- Make the mobile experience as good as possible – Mobile has surpassed desktop for online shoppers browsing and researching their next product decision. Google is providing unique indexes for mobile that require businesses to take a mobile first approach to optimizing their e-commerce sites.
- Increasing same-day delivery – 29% of consumers have stated they’d pay extra for same-day delivery It’s no wonder why leaders like Amazon have brought the service to market, further chomping away at the need for visiting the nearest retail outlet.
- Selling social – 70% of consumers are influenced by brand and product recommendations on social media Tapping into social media for increasing brand awareness and advocacy is now driving sales, encouraging marketers to develop sophisticated omni-channel social strategies.
- Required HTTPS in the Year 2017 – Without an SSL connection, consumers and ecommerce providers are more susceptible to getting data stolen or systems hacked. Google has already confirmed SSL has been introduced into ranking algorithms, it’s time to secure every site you have where data is being collected or passed.
- Selling omni-channel – Multichannel shoppers spend over 3 times more than single-channel shoppers requiring marketers to develop complex campaigns that follow potential buyers and lead them to a purchase whether they’re in the store, mobile, or anywhere in between.
- Product remarketing – On average, it requires seven touchpoints before you can lead a buyer back Remarketing is now an essential strategy for every ecommerce marketer.
Make sure to consider these important trends while creating your ecommerce marketing strategy for 2017.