There are a ton more mistakes you can do with your entire email marketing program… but this infographic from Email Monks focuses on those ridonculous mistakes we make before clicking send. You'll see quite a few mentions of our partners at 250ok on design and deliverability functionality. Let's jump right in:
Before we begin, are we set up for failure or success? Our sponsors at 250ok have an incredible solution that can help you monitor virtually every issue with regard to email reputation, deliverability and inbox placement.
- Dedicated IP – don't let your deliverability be destroyed by a bad sender on the same IP network of your email service.
- Inbox Placement – use an inbox monitoring solution to verify your emails aren't just being delivered to a junk folder, they're making the inbox.
- Deliverability – don't leave a good email service for a bad one and destroy your deliverability.
- Blacklists – make sure your IP address isn't on a sender blacklist, or else you may get poor deliverability or inbox placement.
- Domain – send from and maintain a good email domain so you can build your reputation (along with your IP).
- SPF – Sender Policy Framework configuration is a must so ISPs can ISPs can authenticate and will receive your emails.
- DKIM – DomainKeys Identified Mail lets an organization take responsibility for a message that is in transit.
- DMARC – DMARC is the latest authentication model to provide ISPs with the tools they need to let your email through.
- Feedback Loops – make sure you have feedback implemented so that information from the ISP can be reported back to your ESP for improved email deliverability.
Subscriber management is an essential component of a healthy email marketing program.
- Permission – don't get yourself in trouble with ISPs. Ask for permission to email.
- Preferences – provide and set expectations on frequency for your subscribers.
- Inactives – remove inactive subscribers to reduce unsubscribe complaints and lack of engagement.
- Frequency – don't turn up the frequency so high that your subscribers leave.
- Segmentation – have you double-checked counts and accuracy on your segmentation?
This is where the money is but many companies make some disastrous content mistakes.
- Boring subject lines – if you want someone to open, give them a reason! Check out ActiveCampaign's Subject Line Generator for help.
- Proofing – did you proofread your text for grammar and spelling issues? How about tone of voice?
- Strong CTAs – make your Calls-to-Action stand out on mobile or desktop!
- FNAME – if you don't have names for all your subscribers, don't address them! Or use logic to.
- Merge Fields – test all your data before sending otherwise mapping and dynamic content will emberass you.
- Backgrounds – test backgrounds across email clients… many don't use them.
- Buttons – use images as buttons so that your buttons look great across all email clients.
- Internationalization – are you using the proper langage settings and symbols for your subscribers?
- Typography – utilize fonts with a fall-back for devices and clients that don't support them.
- Social – do you have links to your social media accounts so people can friend and follow?
Our sponsors at 250ok have a preview option to preview your email across every major email client.
- Snippet – test the email to see your first few lines in an email preview are compelling
- Alt – utilize compelling alternative text with every image.
- Test – test subject lines, links, CTAs, personalizaiton, authentication and variations.
- Unsubscribes – small fonts and obscured Unsubscribes make me avoid ever doing business with you.
- Accordions – incorporate accordions for long, sectioned emails to look great mobile.
- Retina – utilize high resolution images optimized for retina displays that modern Apple devices use.
- Responsive – make sure your email looks great on mobile and tablet devices. You may want to add wearables, soon!
Email Send Checks
The mechanics of the email and how it functions when it gets to your subscriber's inbox can impact your credibility as well as your click-through and conversion rates.
- From Address – use a recognizable ‘From Address'
- Reply To Address – why use noreply@ when there are opportunities to connect and sell?
- Trigger Logically – make sure your drip campaigns are executed logically.
- Links – did you test all the links in the email before sending to all subscribers?
- Landing Pages – build high conversion landing pages with few form fields.
- Reporting – capture stats, analyze them, and improve your email marketing efforts.
- Compliance – do you have all the necessary information for full legal compliance in your footer?
[box type=”download” align=”aligncenter” class=”” width=”90%”]Download Email Monks' quick review checklist of items to check before you send. It's a great little PDF![/box]