Those of you who have seen me speak have often heard me speak out against Facebook. I'm on Facebook, I participate on Facebook… but I don't like it. There are quite a few things I don't enjoy on Facebook:
- The navigation makes no sense to me. There are menus, side menus, navigation that appears… I get lost and don't believe it's intuitive at all.
- I joke that Facebook is simply AOL 10.0. It's a closed system… it wants to own everything and doesn't want you to leave. There are great sites all over the net, quit expecting me to do everything there!
- There are no options for personalization. I'm tired of Facebook blue (#3B5998). Let me put a style sheet on my page and customize it!
- Sponsored links are an endless supply of “Singles”… Single Moms, Single Christians, Singles… LEAVE ME ALONE! I've clicked X a hundred times, get the point!
- Facebook will fail (yes, I said it!) unless it can correct one universal weakness, though. The majority of my time in Facebook is spent managing Facebook… not using it. I have to ignore apps, ignore invitations, ignore events, ignore friend requests, ignore causes, ignore becoming a fan, and ignore advertisements. It's not fun… it's annoying.
The viral application framework within Facebook is its biggest flaw. Since I have a large network of friends, family and colleagues, I login and have an unending list of invitations. It's ridiculous and never stops. I know there are some settings I can manage to help this… but I can't figure out where they are. I just want to block all application requests to start.
This is just my opinion, of course! I'd like to hear yours…