We work with some amazing public relations firms ourselves and with our clients. Public relations is still a great investment – our folks at Dittoe PR have gotten us mentions in the New York Times, Mashable and a host of other popular sites.
While PR professionals understand how to write compelling press releases and get them distributed to the right audience, sometimes they don’t optimize the press releases as well as they could be for search.
- Always ensure that your Press Release traffic can be measured. We add campaign tracking and unique landing pages to our Press Releases so we can see where the traffic is coming from and how valuable it is.
- Utilize relevant keywords in the title of your Press Release – which is typically utilized in the page titles of the destination sites that it is syndicated to.
- Target 1 to 3 relevant keyword phrases within the body of the press release and ensure you’ve repeated them. Using them in subheadings or formatting them in bold or italics always helps, too!
- Include links back to your site or landing page within the press release and be sure to link the keyword or phrase, not the name of your company. If you can’t add a link, ensure the link is found adjacent to a keyword phrase.
- Use images within the context of your press release. Name the file using a keyword (dashes for spaces) and, if you can insert it with alternative text or a title – use a keyword.
- Spend the money. I’ve released press releases before without paying for distribution and they didn’t result in a single whisper… paying for distribution through MarketWire, PRWeb, PressKing or other services may increase the likelihood of your news being picked up on news sites with great authority.
Optimizing a press release can provide some additional lift to your company’s web site when that press release is distributed and syndicated through other relevant industry or news sites. Don’t miss the opportunity to generate valuable backlinks back to your site, driving up your rank and increasing the authority of your site with search engines.
The importance of content distribution cannot be overstated. You've poured time and resources into creating content and optimizing your content experience, but it's all for nothing if your content goes unseen.