It may seem like an obvious question, but it when your site is designed to respond to the intent of each kind of visitor you're able to convert more. Visitors will come to your site for a number of reasons:
- Seeking Information – both clients and prospects may be looking for specific answers. Can they find them? If not, can they contact you to find the answers?
- Discover – many times visitors will land on your site or blog because they've discovered you. Are you actively promoting your site where that discovery happens?
- Building Authority – visitors will return wondering whether or not you're truly the authority in the industry. What are you doing to prove it?
- Gaining Trust – visitors also may not convert with you until they know you are trustworthy. What kind of transparency, affiliations, and network are you promoting?
- Nurturing – nurturing requires all of the above but allows visitors to convert on their timeline with your help. Do you have a program that visitors can subscribe to for nurturing?
Your conversions don't always happen with an Add to Cart button! Visitor behavior online is much more complex and takes many more paths through your site to a conversion. To fully leverage your website, you must promote your site where it will be found for answers (through search engines), market your site where it will be discovered (Industry through great public relations and social network), must build authority (through demos, whitepapers, blogging and video), and provide a nurturing path to conversions (email or phone calls).