I’m sure everyone has one of these types of clients. I’ve really been blessed over the last decade that I’ve had clients who have really enjoyed working with me. I’ve seen how some companies treat their clients and I hate it. I’ve always aimed at a higher level of service. I’ve over-promised AND over-delivered. But, geesh… that one client… if I could only write them a letter…
Dear Abusive Client,
- Back when you selected us as your vendor, you asked a multitude of questions and dragged us mercilessly through miles of red tape before you decided that we were the right product for you. Now that you’ve chosen us, it’s not our fault that you are now unhappy with the very features and functionalities that we showed you and you loved. We didn’t lie. We didn’t misrepresent. You were the one that changed your mind.
- We will continue to be proud of the fact that that we met 100% of your requirements and exceeded all of your deadlines. That was the promise we made to you and we kept it.
- Despite what you might believe, our focus is not to destroy your business. Our goal is to continue to develop the greatest solutions on the planet. We know that we exceed all other vendors in features, consistency, usability, and we have more layers of contingency than any other company.
- While our competitors don’t present their email or phone numbers to you, we have introduced each of our staff to you personally, provided you with our full contact information, and have 24/7 personal support. The purpose of this is not to provide a medium for you to belittle us, it’s there because we care about you, your company, and your customers.
- Every client is our #1 priority. While that may not seem acceptable if you are spending more money with us, you’ll appreciate it when others are spending much, much more money with us.
- We are constantly examining trends in the industry, the technology, and the consumer base so you don’t have to. This provides us with strategic visions and product backlogs of features and improvements that span well beyond the next year. Contrary to popular belief, we are not sitting on a couch playing World of Warcraft and waiting for the next complaint. We are working, we are investing, and we are producing improvements every single day. We have our work schedule in place. Your demands for immediate release of a new feature has repercussions on the plans that we are already working on and the goals we have in place. Realize that we will do our best to put your demands before others – but it will take time to adjust schedules, goals and expectations of everyone in our organization.
- Screaming for a feature to be completed yesterday will not improve the quality or reliability of that feature. We have processes, testing, and quality assurance in place for your protection, not ours.
- If, each time we call you, your only goal is to insult and belittle us – we will not go out of our way to call you and assist you to improve your business results. We can not learn from you if you don’t give us the opportunity. We will stop going out of our way to help you because we care about our employees enough that we don’t want to see them abused. We’d rather spend our time with customers who recognize the expertise that they’ve invested in and wish to work together with us for a common goal.
- Our business is not growing ten-fold year over year because we’re inept and don’t understand what we’re doing. We are changing the industry and being recognized for it. Change requires passion, resources and time. Be patient with us and you won’t ever be sorry. Our clients can work with us or they can fight us, who do you think will benefit more?
- Keeping your employees happy has been proven to improve their loyalty and productivity. Do you think it’s any different with your application vendor?
The Vendor You Were Smart Enough to Select