A couple months ago I was asked if I'd like to read The Perfection of Marketing by James Connor. I'm a sucker for a marketing book so I responded immediately. I'm also not easily swayed in my opinions, as you'll see by my review of Content Rich.
James Connor's publicist sent me a book anyways. 😉
He must have known that it was a winner! After reading the book, I was so excited that I requested a box of the books and I've been giving them to other marketing bloggers. So far, the response has been absolutely unanimous – this is my Marketing Book of the Year!
James took some time last week and I got to interview him over the phone. He was soft-spoken and gracious with his time. I'm not sure he's surprised at the reaction to the book – this has been The James Group's playbook. The James Group is a brand strategy and full-service marketing agency built to help midsized businesses grow. And grow they have, with a 95% success rate and not a single client suffering during this recession.
The book isn't theory, nor was it written by a thought leader… The James Group spent 6 years testing and 6 years training these methods. James said the book was simple to write because it was how they worked with their clients every day.
There were several reasons why I loved the book so much, including:
- It's very matter of fact and process-driven, written for the CEO – not the CMO!
- The book is written as a story from a consultant to a CEO, the CEO being a compilation of the hundreds of business leaders that James has worked with over the years.
- Each chapter has a synopsis and questions for the reader, becoming a practical guide for any business leader to learn the ins and outs of marketing.
- The book is an easy read, but speaks across all aspects of marketing – from logos and brands to SEO and web design.
- The book book details Return on Marketing Investment – something near and dear to my heart!
James Connor is passionate about the book – and speaks to the impact that growing mid-sized business could fix the recession:
If you'd like a free copy of the book, request a copy through my contact form with some details on who you are, your marketing blog (required) and why you'd like a copy. I'll send you a copy as long as you promise to blog about it after you read the book. I only have limited copies left – so be sure to do it quickly. If you're selected, I'll write back and request an address to send it to.
Don't miss out, you can download the first 4 chapters through The Perfection of Marketing website… and you can purchase the book in sets of 3 for the price of 1.
Special thanks to James for taking time out of his busy schedule to speak to me.