Each month, I’d get a couple of thousand returning visitors through browser push notifications that we integrated. Unfortunately, the platform we chose is now shutting down so I had to find a new one. Worse, there’s no way of importing those old subscribers back to our site so we’re going to take a hit. For that reason, I needed to choose a platform that’s well-known and scalable. And I found it in OneSignal.
Not only does OneSignal do push notifications for browsers, they’re also a one-stop shop for push notifications via mobile applications or by email as well.
What is a Push Notification?
Much of digital marketing utilizes pull technologies, that is the user makes a request and the system responds with the requested message. An example might be a landing page where the user requests a download. Once the user submits the form, an email is sent to them with a link to the download. This is useful, but it requires the action of the prospect. Push notifications are a permission-based method where the marketer gets to initiate the request.
Here are a few examples of push notifications:
- Desktop Push Notifications – modern browsers offer the opportunity to push a notification. On this site, for example, a first-time visitor is asked if we can send them a push notification. If they approve, then each time we publish a new post they receive a desktop notification.
- Mobile Application Push Notifications – mobile applications can notify mobile users via push notification. One mobile app I really enjoy using is Waze, because it reads my calendar and notifies me – based on traffic – when I need to leave to arrive at my next meeting on time.
- Triggered Email Push Notifications – if you order from Apple, you get push email notifications that let you know when your order was packaged and when it’s in route to its destination.
OneSignal offers some incredible features aside from cross-platform options and aggressive pricing:
- 15 Minute Setup – customer testimonials state they can’t believe how easy it was to get started.
- Real-Time Tracking – Monitor the conversion of your notifications and emails in real time.
- Scalable – Millions of users? We’ve got them all covered. We support most devices and all major SDKs.
- A/B Test Messages – Deliver two test messages to a subset of users, then send the better one to the rest.
- Segmentation Targeting – Create personalized notifications and emails, and have them delivered to each user at the ideal time of day.
- Automatic Delivery – Set it and forget it. Automatically send relevant notifications to users.
In addition to a robust API, WordPress plugin, and software development kits (SDKs) to easily integrate, OneSignal offers a great user interface for marketers to send their own push notifications as well. They also offer out of the box integrations with SquareSpace, Joomla, Blogger, Drupal, Weebly, Wix, Magento, and Shopify.