Ironically, I was just speaking to an agency this morning on the complexity of theming within WordPress. For folks like us that are both PHP developers, have done a ton of themes and plugins and fully understand the WordPress API, it’s not bad. Unfortunately, that’s out of reach for some companies and individuals, though. Bottom line – having to call a developer each time you wish to modify your layout or theme can get expensive!
PageLine is changing this with their product, PlatformPro. Platform’s front-end design is based on a brand-new concept called sections. In short, sections are similar to WordPress widgets (drag-and-drop sidebar content) only they work much better for creating great designs and for use with templates. Here are some of the reasons why sections are awesome:
- Plug-and-Play Sections are pre-designed pieces of web design, which can be very complex (e.g. a feature slider, navigation, carousel, etc..). All the code remains contained and managed by the section API; so all you ever see is a simple drag and drop interface and options.
- Control Sections can be toggled on or off on a page-by-page basis and add their own post- types and options. This means total control of every page on your site.
- Development Can be created and modified by designers in the Base child theme. This means designers can add or alter the drag & drop sections in seconds.
- Simple Sections add standard html markup and custom hooks (for extending functionality). This cuts down on a lot of code while giving you more functionality at the same time.
More Features You’ll Love
- Layout Builder – On top of the new drag&drop sections, Platform also has draggable layout builder for configuring the dimensions of your site. You can select a new site width, or configure each of 5 different sidebar layouts; then select a layout on a page-by-page basis.
- bbPress and BuddyPress – Platform also supports integrations with BuddyPress and has a matching bbPress forum theme (developer edition). The integration is seamless and gives Platform users a really professional and dynamic presence.
- Full-Width and Fixed-Width Modes – PageLine has also accounted for different design modes. There are two ways to build your site with Platform. Full-width mode allows you to have full-width content elements (such as background images), and fixed-width mode gives you fixed-width content and background elements.
- Base Child Theme – The Base child theme was built to help you customize Platform easily and with best- practices for building a website. Use it to throw in some custom CSS design, or use ‘hooks’ to add code like HTML or PHP to places throughout the theme. They have also built in an easy way for you to add custom sections of your own!
- Pricing – The cost for a single pro license will cost $95. A multi use developer license will be sold for $175, which also includes compatibility with bbPress forum, graphics and links removed.