Subscribers don’t care about the difference between unsubscribing and simply marking your email as SPAM… they do it every single day. They don’t realize the repercussions of reporting your email as SPAM can get you blocked from the inboxes of thousands of more subscribers on the same Internet Service Provider. It’s why we closely monitor our inbox placement with our partners at 250ok!
So hiding the unsubscribe link in your email is not only NOT going to reduce the number of unsubscribes, it’s also going to get you into trouble with your inbox placement. Don’t be surprised if that minor edit you make to your email template to make it difficult to unsubscribe winds up killing your inbox placement and subsequent click-through rate and conversion rate from your emails.
Top reasons people unsubscribe from your email
- Poor email design or copy (don’t forget mobile responsive email templates).
- Excess or limited email frequency. It’s why we offer both daily and weekly subscriptions with our newsletter via CircuPress.
- Sending emails without permission.
- Irrelevant email content. 24% of BlueHornet respondents said they leave because the email was irrelevant!
- End of offer or sale.
- Offensive or misleading subject line.
- Lack of personalization (although I think bad personalization is worst than none).
- Change of preferences, like leaving a company or industry.
This infographic from EmailMonks offers some great advice on improving your subscription options and implementing some best practices to improve your list retention and reduce the number of unsubscribes.