I love Gary Larson’s humor from The Far Side fame:
Companies are supposedly risk averse and we’re all conditioned that there’s somehow safety in numbers:
- How many clients do you have?
- How long have you been in business?
- Please supply us with references.
- Provide us with sample case studies that match our industry, company size, product, service, etc.
- We read this article from [insert big company] that provides an opposing perspective, please explain.
Let’s look at examples of the herd, and who we’ve been following for years:
- General Motors
- United Auto Workers
- Fannie Mae
- Freddie Mac
- Bank of America
- Fifth Third Bancorp
- Goldman Sachs
- J.P. Morgan Chase
- Merrill Lynch
- Morgan Stanley
- PNC Financial Services Group
- Wells Fargo
- United States Government
- Healthcare Companies
- Insurance Companies
- Social Security
No thanks, I’ll not be following the herd any time soon.