I'm recovering from what I believe is my first migraine headache today. So I hope I'm not being negative with this post… it's not an attack, simply a curiosity.
If you've not checked out his blog before, there is a wealth of information at ProBlogger. What I can't figure out lately is why virtually every single post has to be some sort of list?
Are there advantages to lists in your content? I have put lists in my content before, but only when I thought that they gave direction or were simply bullet points that I wanted to communicate. I know that people do search for ‘Top 10' and ‘Top 100' and other common counts for lists, but I don't see ‘Top' in some of ProBlogger's lists.
Yet, almost every post seems to have a numbered list of some sort. How come?
Here are the Top 5 Reasons why I don't use lists in every post:
- It doesn't read like a conversation.
- Lists are sometimes subjective… one person can have a single point or a one-hundred points on any given topic. Why is the count important?
- Overuse of numbered lists sounds disingenuous… unless your blog is about lists, of course.
- List items are usually concise statements, and don't leave a lot of room for description or discussion.
- Sometimes, the last items seem kind of thought up… just to try to get to the count you need. I needed 5.