Coastal Creative does a fantastic job keeping on top of creative design trends by putting out a great infographic each year. 2017 is looking like a solid year for design trends – I love all of them. And we’ve incorporated many of these for our clients and even our own agency site.
For the third year in a row, we’ve released the newest version our popular design trends infographic for 2017. Although there are principles of design that are universal and timeless, inevitably there are also trends that change yearly as the practice evolves. Some of these trends may take hold and become part of the timeless principles, while others will fade away. Let’s take a look at what we saw in 2016 that we expect to continue to be popular, and what we can expect for 2017.
Website Design Trends for 2017
- Card Based Design – visual navigation is becoming much more prominent on sites for visitors to easily glance and find what they need.
- Large Bold Typography – big and bold typography on a contemporary design are popular.
- Throw-Back Colors – neon and bold primary colors are overtaking the flats and earthy tones that have been popular the last few years.
- Thin Icons – minimal, abstract icons with thin lines are growing in popularity over detailed icons.
- Neon Gradients – adding depth to logos and accents with strong neon colors is a great way to stand out.
- Retro-Pastels – lilacs, baby blues, and pinks with soft white colors combined with strong design lines.
- Bold Shapes – polygons, equilateral shapes, and geometric patterns add appeal.
- Originality – drawings and illustrations provide a unique experience.
One of my favorite illustrated sites that I’ve visited this year is Garden Party Botanical Hard Sodas. Once you put in you’re over 21, be prepared for an amazing experience.