Context, intent, and natural language or all inhibitors of the simple keyword-based queries. Language isn't easy to comprehend, so if you can begin to store patterns of speech and include contextual markers to search predictions, you can increase the accuracy of results. Google is utilizing artificial intelligence (AI) to do just that
What is Google RankBrain?
RankBrain is an advancement in Google's search technology incorporating natural language processing and artificial intelligence to increase the accuracy of search results. According to Greg Corrado, a senior research scientist with Google, RankBrain is now one of the top 3 most impactful search factors. Testing showed that RankBrain predicted more accurate search engine results 80% of the time compared to Google engineers who predicted the most accurate result 70% of the time.
Jack Clark of Bloomberg described how RankBrain works:
RankBrain uses artificial intelligence to embed vast amounts of written language into mathematical entities — called vectors — that the computer can understand. If RankBrain sees a word or phrase it isn’t familiar with, the machine can make a guess as to what words or phrases might have a similar meaning and filter the result accordingly, making it more effective at handling never-before-seen search queries.
Digital Marketing Philippines put together this infographic with The Top 8 Important Facts About Google RankBrain:
- RankBrain learns offline and results are tested and proven, then go online
- RankBrain makes more accurate predictions than search engineeers
- RankBrain is not PageRank, which is slowly fading as a factor
- RankBrain handles around 15% of Google's daily search queries
- RankBrain converts related words into vectors
- RankBrain uses Artificial Narrow Intelligence
- Microsoft Bing uses AI with its learning machine named RankNet
- RankBrain is competing with Facebook's semantic search