One of the tasks we’re often handed with a new client is adopting their WordPress site that has been built in-house or with an inexperienced agency. The result is often a slow site, problems with poorly developed themes, and packed with a ton of plugins. While I’m a fan of WordPress, it’s far too easy to build out an instance that is problematic or that performs horribly.
When we take it over, we prioritize the work we’re going to do to optimize their site:
- Server Errors: We review server logs to identify any issues where the site is generating errors. Some errors can have a significant impact on site speed and user experience, so that’s what we want to fix first.
- Performance: We review the themes, plugins, and integrated platforms that might slow the site down and we work to reduce their complexity. We work to reduce queries, improve caching, and utilize other techniques help speed up WordPress while not removing any features.
- Simplification: We review the plugins used and eliminate any that aren’t necessary or work to add the features necessary without a bloated plugin that may be slowing the site down or conflicting with another plugin.
All of these efforts help to stabilize WordPress, increase its speed, and reduce the possibility of the site crashing altogether. With multiple hands in the site and not having a lot of experience with the theme and plugins the client deployed, we also want to monitor the site for any changes or errors. Activity logs aren’t built into WordPress, so it requires a third-party plugin.
WP Activity Log
We have grown fond of the professional version of WP Activity Log. We can see what site changes have been made, what code has been updated, any plugins that may have been changed, along with the users that made changes. The plugin has proven invaluable for many situations… from an overzealous site owner that goes in and breaks the site and then asks us what we did, through to users having issues that we would have never been aware of without recording the activity.
One recent client had users complaining that they were unable to complete their Woocommerce checkout. We were able to use the Activity Log to narrow down the issue to a third-party shipping plugin that hadn’t been kept up to date. Once we purchased a new license and updated the plugin, the intermittent checkout issues stopped.
Every WordPress Site Should Have An Activity Log
As a website owner, it is essential to keep an eye on your site’s activity to ensure optimal user experience and security. WP Activity Log, a comprehensive activity log plugin, is the perfect tool to help you achieve this. In this article, we’ll discuss the importance and features of WP Activity Log, with a particular focus on alerting you to errors users encounter while navigating your site or making orders through WooCommerce. With a comprehensive activity log to assist us, we’re able to make a number of improvements to the site – and ultimately improve conversions:
- Enhancing User Experience: WP Activity Log tracks and records all user activity, enabling you to identify and resolve issues that users may experience. By addressing errors and improving the user experience, you can increase customer satisfaction and boost sales.
- Security and Compliance: WP Activity Log helps you maintain your site’s security and adhere to various compliance requirements by monitoring user activity and alerting you to potential threats, such as unauthorized logins or data breaches.
- Troubleshooting: With detailed logs, WP Activity Log makes it easier to identify the root cause of issues, allowing you to resolve them quickly and efficiently.
- Accountability: WP Activity Log ensures that every action taken on your website is recorded, allowing you to hold users accountable for their actions and maintain a transparent working environment.
- Regulation: We’ve also worked with several highly-regulated clients that required comprehensive logs for compliance. WP Activity Log provided every entry required.
Key Features of WP Activity Log Include
- Real-time Alerts: WP Activity Log provides real-time email and SMS notifications, ensuring you are immediately informed of any critical errors or suspicious activity on your site.
- Comprehensive Logging: The plugin logs more than 500 different events, including user logins, plugin and theme changes, and content updates. This ensures you have a detailed record of all activity on your website.
- WooCommerce Integration: WP Activity Log is fully compatible with WooCommerce, allowing you to monitor and manage activity on your online store with ease. You can track customer orders, stock updates, and other vital eCommerce events.
- Customizable Alerts: You can configure WP Activity Log to notify you of specific events that are important to your business, ensuring you receive relevant information without being overwhelmed by notifications.
- Advanced Search and Filtering: The plugin’s advanced search and filtering capabilities allow you to quickly locate specific events or activities, saving you time and effort when troubleshooting or investigating issues.
- Reports and Statistics: WP Activity Log provides comprehensive reports and statistics, helping you analyze your website’s activity and identify trends, potential issues, or areas for improvement.
Maintaining a secure and user-friendly website is crucial for your online success. WP Activity Log is an indispensable tool for WordPress and WooCommerce site owners, offering a range of features to help you monitor and manage your site’s activity. By being alerted to errors users encounter while navigating your site or making orders through WooCommerce, you can proactively address these issues, ultimately enhancing the user experience and boosting your sales.
With WP Activity Log, you can take control of your website’s security, user experience, and performance, ensuring your online business thrives in a competitive market.
WP Activity Log is one of the plugins listed on the list of our favorite WordPress plugins for business, a list that we’re constantly keeping up to date.