Every Monday, we send a newsletter of the articles published in the last week at Martech Zone. It’s growing in popularity. Since launching it over a month ago, we are nearing 5,000 subscribers. While we’ve automated the newsletter using Mailchimp, we still make edits each week before it’s sent. Our long-term goal with the newsletter is to drive leads to DK New Media (I’m one of the partners) and provide unique and valuable offers to our subscribers. In other words, monetization.
If you’ve got a publication and a growing newsletter, you understand the investment in licensing an email service provider (ESP), creating the content, and managing the overall program. It’s not inexpensive, so how can you recoup some of the expense or even profit from the connection you’re making between your subscribers and businesses trying to reach them?
Here’s my list of monetization strategies ordered by their potential revenue and profitability.
- Customer Acquisition: Offer services directly through your newsletter. We close every newsletter with a reminder that the subscriber can either reply to our newsletter or schedule an appointment with a prominent link to click.
- Influencer Marketing: Publish your newsletter statistics and register with influencer marketing platforms. In these relationships, you can also create custom programs that may incorporate your newsletter, social promotion, and content on your publication.
- Email Sponsorships: Partner with companies or brands directly to promote their products or services within your email newsletter. The advantage of sponsorship is that you collaborate with the company to determine a long-term strategy that is mutually valuable. This is, by far, your most profitable monetization method besides direct customer acquisition.
- Event Sales: Organize paid webinars and other events, selling tickets through platforms like Eventbrite.
- Co-Marketing: Much like sponsorships, you can work with companies that aren’t competitors but wish to reach the same target audience. These relationships may be used to expand your reach and drive indirect revenue… or you may offer a discounted sponsorship cost.
- Merchandise Sales: Manage branded merchandise sales through e-commerce platforms like Shopify or Printful.
- Affiliate Marketing: Promote products and services or cross-promote other subscriptions relevant to your audience and earn commissions through affiliate links, with affiliate platforms SwapStack and Paved facilitating such partnerships.
- Premium Subscriptions: Offer exclusive content or features for a fee, facilitated by platforms like Patreon. If you’re on WordPress, Jetpack offers an email service with integration for exclusive subscriber content.
- Advertising: Platforms like LiveIntent offer dynamic advertising insertion in email newsletters.
- Donations and Crowdfunding: Allow subscribers to support your work through platforms like Ko-fi and Buy Me a Coffee.
These revenue sources provide various options for monetizing email newsletters effectively, depending on your content, audience, and business objectives.
Reach our audience of business decision-makers interested in sales, marketing, and technology in the Martech Zone newsletters: