The traditional chatbot developed years ago had a simple experience… ask a question and the bot attempted to comprehend the question and provide a relevant answer. Designing a chatbot experience was rudimentary: searching for keywords and phrases, utilizing logic trees to provide direction, and rarely responding appropriately. For the most part, I believe most users (like myself) found them infuriating, especially when companies attempted to disguise them as actual humans.
It’s important for companies to recognize the transformation of chatbots with generative AI. Generative AI refers to a type of artificial intelligence that can create new content. It’s a subfield of machine learning (ML) where models are trained to generate outputs such as images, music, speech, or text. These models learn the patterns, structures, or features from large amounts of input data and can use this learning to create content similar to, but distinct from, their training data.
ChatGPT is an example of a generative AI model. It’s designed to generate sequences of text. Trained on a large corpus of text data from the internet, it learns to predict the next word in a sentence, allowing it to generate coherent, contextually relevant responses to prompts.
The ChatGPT Powered Chatbot
- Understanding Context: GPT-based chatbots have a better grasp of the context of a conversation, allowing them to provide more relevant responses. Traditional chatbots, on the other hand, typically follow pre-set scripts and can fail when a conversation goes off script.
- Natural Language Processing: AI chatbots like ChatGPT leverage advanced natural language processing (NLP) capabilities to understand and generate human language. They can better comprehend nuances in language, including idioms, metaphors, and slang, whereas rule-based chatbots can struggle with anything beyond straightforward queries.
- Learning Ability: Chatbots powered by machine learning models can learn from past interactions, and over time, they can improve their performance. Traditional chatbots don’t have this learning capability; their responses are limited to the rules and scripts initially set by their developers.
- Scalability: ChatGPT can handle various topics because it was trained on diverse internet text. Traditional chatbots, in contrast, are typically designed to handle a specific domain of knowledge.
- Conversational Flow: Chatbots like ChatGPT can generate more conversational and dynamic responses, making the interaction feel more like a chat with a human. Traditional chatbots often have a more robotic feel due to their predefined responses.
The Hard Way: Building A ChatGPT Powered Chatbot
Challenged with learning the technology, I started down the road of building my own chatbot powered by ChatGPT and it was quite daunting. Here are the overall steps:
Building a chatbot using ChatGPT involves several key steps. Here’s a general outline:
- Understanding the Use Case: Before building the bot, it’s essential to understand its purpose. Will it be a general conversational bot, or does it have a specific function, such as customer service, recommendations, or teaching?
- Accessing the API: To use ChatGPT, you need access to the OpenAI API. OpenAI provides an API for developers to call and interact with their models.
- Developing the Application: You then develop an application or platform that will interact with the API. You must write code that sends user inputs to the ChatGPT API and receives the generated responses.
- Setting Up Conversations: With ChatGPT, you can establish a conversation with the model, sending messages and receiving responses. Messages can be of the role system, user, or assistant. A system message sets the assistant’s behavior, a user message gives a user instruction to the assistant, and an assistant message can be used to prime the assistant with prior responses.
- Tuning Responses: You can fine-tune the output by adjusting parameters like temperature (which controls the randomness of the response) and max tokens (which sets the maximum length of the generated response).
- Handling Errors and Inappropriate Content: While ChatGPT is designed to refuse certain unsafe content, you may still need to implement additional content moderation layers to filter out inappropriate responses.
- Testing and Iterating: Once the bot is set up, extensive testing is needed to ensure it performs as expected and to fine-tune its performance. As the bot is tested, developers will likely need to iterate on its design, adjusting how it uses the API and possibly adding new features.
- Deploying: Once the chatbot behaves satisfactorily, it can be deployed to the end users.
- Monitoring and Updating: After deployment, the chatbot should be continuously monitored to ensure it performs as expected and to catch any issues.
If that sounds difficult, it is. After working on my instance for weeks, I honestly gave up. The greatest challenge wasn’t the programming and technology; it was exporting the data, formatting it into questions and answers, and training my model. A simple article would have dozens or even hundreds of Q&As, so how do you automate and train millions of questions and answers to train the model? I even found a platform that uses AI to generate the questions and answers… and it would have still taken hours to input each article. Multiple that by thousands of articles… I’d be working on it through next year.
The Easy Way: Chatbase Custom ChatGPT for Your Data
Chatbase accomplishes every step that you read about above. Just upload your documents, add a link to your website (or sitemap), and you will have a ChatGPT-like chatbot for your data. They even provide a Chatbot iframe or chat popup window to install your site in minutes. If you have WordPress, they even have a plugin you can install to initiate the script. No code, no scripting… just set it up, and your generative AI bot will be live in minutes!
Chatbase is a platform that allows users to create AI-powered chatbots using OpenAI’s GPT models. These chatbots can be trained on user-provided data, such as documents or website content. Users can then integrate these chatbots into their websites, providing a conversational AI interface for visitors. Here are some key features and aspects of Chatbase:
- Data Source: Users can provide data for chatbot training by uploading documents, adding a link to a website to be scraped, or pasting text directly.
- Customization: Chatbots can be customized with specific names, personality traits, and instructions, such as answering questions in a specific language.
- Integration: Chatbase offers several integration options. For example, users can add the chatbot to their WordPress websites, connect it to various apps via Zapier, and there are upcoming integrations with Slack and Shopify.
- Web Deployment: Users can embed the chatbot on their websites either through an iframe or as a chat bubble in the corner of the site.
- API Access: The platform provides API access, allowing users to communicate with the chatbot from various applications.
- Language Support: Chatbase supports around 95 languages, meaning users can ask questions and receive responses in numerous languages.
- Data Security: According to the provided information, the data used for training the chatbot is stored securely on GCP/AWS servers.
- Model Options: By default, chatbots use the gpt-3.5-turbo model, but users on the Standard and Unlimited plans can use GPT-4.
- Sharing Capability: Users can make their chatbots public and share them with others.
My First ChatGPT Chatbot Is Live!
We have a small site that promotes our IP Warm service. It has a dozen pages that I filtered down and fed into a custom Chatbase Chatbot. Selecting, training, and customizing the chatbot and launching it onto the site took under 10 minutes.
And it works fantastic! I was amazed at how simple it was. And, of course, Chatbase allows users to train and tweak their bot as needed with additional content, removing any questionable responses, etc. You can see a record of every conversation and even request a visitor’s email address through the bot.
Don’t believe me? Sign up for free and launch your first intelligent Chatbot!