We had a client that we recommended Piwik to. They were running into some serious reporting issues with both Google Analytics and a paid enterprise analytics because of the volume of visitors they were getting to their site. Large sites don't realize that there are both latency issues and data limitations with Google Analytics.
The client had a very talented web group so taking analytics internal would have been easy. Along with the flexibility to customize based on their platform, the marketing group would also be provided more accurate analytics, in real-time, without statistical errors based on the sampling of visitors.
If you're feeling limited by Google Analytics, Piwik may be a great alternative.The Piwik Community edition is open-source analytics tool that comes with regular updates and new releases for free. Piwik PRO On-Premises includes a variety of additional premium features and services. Piwik PRO also offers a cloud solution (where you still own the data) if you're not up to hosting it internally. Piwik has a full comparison of each solution on their site.
Piwik has also released an infographic with all the benefits they offer over Google Analytics. Granted, this is a biased infographic. Google Analytics does provide Google Analytics 360 for the enterprise client. And it shouldn't go without mentioning that Google has the advantage of Webmaster and Adwords integration that a different provider won't ever provide.
Piwik PRO Features
Piwik includes all standard statistics reports: top keywords and search engines, websites, top page URLs, page titles, user countries, providers, operating system, browser market share, screen resolution, desktop VS mobile, engagement (time on site, pages per visit, repeated visits), top campaigns, custom variables, top entry/exit pages, downloaded files, and many more, classified into four main analytics report categories – Visitors, Actions, Referrers, Goals/e-Commerce (30+ reports). See Piwik's full list of features.
- Real-time data updates – Watch real-time flow of visits to your website. Get a detailed view of your visitors, pages they have visited and goals they have triggered.
- Customizable Dashboard – Create new dashboards with widget configuration fit to your needs.
- All Websites Dashboard – the best way to get an overview of what is happening on all your websites at once.
- Row Evolution – Current and past metric data for any row in any report.
- Analytics for e-commerce – Understand and improve your online business thanks to advanced e-commerce analytics features.
- Goal conversion tracking – Track Goals and identify whether you are meeting your current business objectives.
- Event Tracking – Measure any interaction by users on your websites and apps.
- Content Tracking – Measure impressions and clicks and CTR for image banners, text banners and any element on your pages.
- Site Search Analytics – Track searches done on your internal search engine.
- Custom Dimensions – Assign any custom data to your visitors or actions (like pages, events, …) and then visualize the reports of how many visits, conversions, pageviews, etc. there were for each Custom Dimension.
- Geolocation – Locate your visitors for accurate detection of Country, Region, City, Organization. View the visitors statistics on a World Map by Country, Region, City. View your latest visitors in real time.
- Pages Transitions – View what visitors did before and after viewing the specific page.
- Page Overlay – Display statistics directly on top of your website with our smart overlay.
- Site and page speed reports – Keeps track of how fast your website delivers content to your visitors.
- Track different user interactions – Automatic tracking of file downloads, clicks on external website links, and optional tracking of 404 pages.
- Analytics campaign tracking – Automatically detects Google Analytics campaign parameters in your URLs.
- Track traffic from search engines – More than 800 different search engines tracked!
- Scheduled email reports (PDF and HTML reports) – Embed reports in your app or website (40+ Widgets available) or embed PNG Graphs in any custom page, email, or app.
- Annotations – Create text notes in your graphs, to remember about particular events.
- No data limit – You can keep all your data, without any storage limits, forever!
- Integrations – with more than 40 CMS, web frameworks or Ecommerce shops
- Mobile App Analytics with the Piwik iOS SDK, the Android SDK, and the Titanium Module.