I’m a sucker for a color infographic… we’ve already published how genders interpret colors, color, emotion and branding and whether or not colors impact buying behavior. This infographic details the psychology and even the return on investment a company might attain by focusing on the colors they’re utilizing throughout their user experience.
Emotions evoked by color are based more on personal experiences than on what we’re told they’re meant to represent. The color red might remind one person of Christmas (warm, positive), while it makes another person think of the fire trucks on the day their house burned down (negative).
- Red – Energy, war, danger, strength, rage, vigor, power, determination, passion, desire, and love.
- Orange – Excitement, fascination, happiness, creativity, summer, success, encouragement, and stimulation
- Yellow – Joy, sickness, spontaneity, happiness, intellect, freshness, joy, instability, and energy
- Green – Growth, harmony, healing, safety, nature, greed, jealousy, cowardice, hope, inexperience, peace, protection.
- Blue – Stability, depression, Nature (The sky, the ocean, water), tranquility, softness, depth, wisdom, intelligence.
- Purple – Royalty, luxury, extravagance, dignity, magic, wealth, mystery.
- Pink – Love, romance, friendship, passiveness, nostalgia, sexuality.
- White – Purity, faith, innocence, cleanliness, safety, medicine, beginnings, snow.
- Grey – Dreariness, gloom, neutrality, decisions
- Black – Solemnity, death, fear, evil, mystery, power, elegance, the unknown, elegance, grief, tragedy, prestige.
- Brown – Harvest, wood, chocolate, dependability, simplicity, relaxation, the outdoors, filth, disease, disgust
If you’d really like to dig into how colors affect your brand, be sure to read Dawn Matthew from Avasam’s article which provides an incredible amount of detail on how colors impact users and their behavior:
Here’s an infographic from Best Psychology Degrees on the psychology of color that details a ton of information how colors translate to behaviors and outcomes!