WPML is the standard in the industry for developing and translating your content on a multilingual WordPress site. I am currently running the GTranslate plugin on Martech Zone in order to do simple, multilingual machine translation. This has expanded our reach globally as well as driven search engine traffic to my site.
We’re working on deploying a site for a client right now that has a significant Hispanic population. While a plugin like GTranslate can do machine translation well, it’s not going to capture the nuances of a dialect for our large Mexican-American audience that we hope to reach. For that, we’re going to be professionally translating the content for maximum impact.
Custom translation requires a different solution, and the leader in WordPress translation plugins is WPML.
How to Translate Your WordPress Site with WPML
WPML Features Include
- WordPress – Translate every element to your WordPress site, including navigation, widgets, pages, articles, custom post types, or any other element. WPML also supports the Gutenberg editor.
- Languages – WPML comes with over 40 languages. You can also add your own language variants (like Canadian French or Mexican Spanish) using WPML’s languages editor.
- URL Structure – You can arrange different language contents in the same domain (in language directories), in sub-domains, or in completely different domains.
- Machine Translation – Get a headstart on your translation by using machine translation so that you can save some time and translation service costs downstream.
- User Translation – Turn ordinary WordPress users into Translators. Translators can access only specific translation jobs that Translation Managers assign to them.
- Translation Services – Connect WPML’s powerful translation management with a translation service of your choice. Conveniently send content for translation directly from WPML’s Translation Dashboard. When translations complete, they appear back on your site, ready for publishing.
- Theme and Plugin String Translation – WPML frees you from the hassle of editing PO files and uploading MO files. You can translate texts in other plugins and in Admin screens directly from the String Translation interface.
WooCommerce Multilanguage Support
Run multilingual e-commerce sites with WooCommerce. Enjoy complete support for simple and variable products, related products, sales and promotions, and everything else that WooCommerce offers.
WPML shows you which texts need translation and builds the complete translated store for you. Visitors will enjoy a fully localized purchase process, starting with the product listing, through the cart and checkout, and even localized confirmation emails.
You don’t need to do anything special to create multilingual-ready themes. Just use the WordPress API functions and WPML takes care of the rest.
Disclosure: I’m an affiliate for WPML.