The last couple weeks, I've been slowly adding marketing tools to the new site. One of the overwhelming things that I've noticed is that technology companies love to market features and totally neglect to market benefits.
Case in point is a comparison ofHootsuite versus CoTweet™:
CoTweet's marketing on their home page pushes the benefits of using the platform:
- CoTweet is a platform that helps companies reach and engage customers using Twitter.
- Monitor your brand – Listen for conversations about your products, brands, company and competitors. CoTweet is your Twitter “Early Warning System”
- Engage people throughout your company – Share the job of being on duty. Tap the collective wisdom of people across functional areas like marketing, PR and customer service. Assign tasks and track followups.
- Focus on the conversations that matter – Know when you need to jump in. Track your exchanges through simple case management. Schedule updates to make company announcements.
- Keep your brand HUMAN – Automatically include signatures in your updates to identify who's talking and keep conversations personal.
Hootsuite's home page marketing is all about features of their platform:
- Social Networks new! – Manage multiple Twitter , Facebook , LinkedIn or Ping.fm accounts in one easy to use interface.
- iPhone App new! – Schedule tweets, add lists, and track stats with the HootSuite iPhone app
- Track Statistics – Impress your friends, your boss, or just yourself with our link statistics and visualizations.
- Twitter Lists new! – Import your existing Lists or create new ones and manage them from inside HootSuite
- Team Workflow – HootSuite makes it easy to manage multiple users over various Twitter accounts.
- Brand Monitoring – Find out what people are saying about your brand right now.
- Personalized View – Organize your Twitter streams into tabs and columns. Personalize the layout just the way you want it.
- Schedule Tweets – Provide nourishing content to your followers at any time of day using the HootSuite tweet scheduler.
- Embed Columns – Grab code from HootSuite to easily embed search columns in your website!
Only once doesHootsuite mention a benefit… and it's to “Impress your boss”. Really? That's why I'm going to use your platform? I thinkHootsuite has an amazing product, but they need to educate prospects on why they are the “Professional” choice when it comes to a corporate Twitter platform. On each of their features, ask the question “Why?”… why track statistics? Why view monitor my brand? Why schedule tweets? What are the benefits to the company?
Don't get me wrong, there will be specific buyers that are looking for features that may give you the edge over the competition – but those should be neatly identified on a Features page that's easy to find and read. I believe comparison charts work best.
Your home page and marketing content should be focused on the benefits of using your platform. Keep features on a features page!