As marketers, we know that engaging the right audience with the right message over the right channel is critical, but also extremely difficult. With so many channels and platforms—from social media to traditional media—it’s hard to know where to invest your efforts. And, of course, time is a finite resource—there’s always more to do (or that you could be doing), than there is time and staff to do it.
Digital publishers are feeling this pressure perhaps more than any other industry, from traditional news outlets to recipe blogs, lifestyle and niche, special interest publications. With trust in the media on shaky ground, and what seems like a gazillion different outlets all competing for consumers’ attention, keeping audiences engaged isn’t just a priority—it’s a matter of survival.
As marketers know, publishers depend on advertising to keep the lights on and the servers humming. And we also know that getting those ads in front of the right target audience is essential for driving revenue. But as third-party cookies become obsolete, audience targeting has become an even bigger challenge.
Today’s consumers have extremely high expectations for personalization—in fact, nearly 3 out of 4 say they won’t engage with marketing content unless it’s customized to their interests. That’s a huge concern for both publishers and marketers—meeting that high standard is increasingly tough as data privacy concerns collide with higher standards for personalization. It seems we’re all caught in a Catch 22!
The PowerInbox platform solves the privacy/personalization paradox for publishers, allowing them to send automated, personalized messages to subscribers over email, web, and push notifications—fully opt-in channels. With PowerInbox, any size publisher can send the right content to the right person over the right channel to drive response.
Email-Based Content Personalization
Here's how it works: First, PowerInbox uses a subscribers’ email address -not cookies – to identify them across all channels. Why email?
- It’s opt-in, so users sign up/agree to receive content, unlike cookies that operate behind the scenes.
- It’s persistent because it’s tied to an actual person, not a device. Cookies are stored on the device, which means publishers don’t know that it’s the same user when they go from using an iPhone to their laptop. With email, PowerInbox can track user behavior across devices and across channels and target the right content appropriately.
- It’s more accurate. Because email addresses are rarely shared, the data is unique to that individual, whereas cookies collect data on every user of that device. So, if a family shares a tablet or laptop, for example, the cookie data is a jumbled mess of mom, dad, and the kids, which makes targeting nearly impossible. With email, the data is tied directly to the individual user.
Once PowerInbox identifies a subscriber, its AI engine then learns that users’ interests based on known preferences and behavior to build a precise user profile. Meanwhile, the solution also culls through publishers’ content to match relevant content to users based on their known profile and events in real-time.
PowerInbox then automatically delivers that curated content to users via web email or push notification based on which channel has shown to drive highest engagement. As the platform works, it constantly refines content curation and continuously updates the model for increasingly precise personalization.
Because the content is highly relevant and useful, subscribers are more likely to click through, driving engagement and revenue for publishers’ monetized content. Even better, PowerInbox offers built-in monetization options, allowing publishers to insert ad content directly into their emails and push notifications.
The platform’s set-it-and-forget-it ease allows publishers to keep audiences engaged with individually curated content at any scale—something that’s otherwise impossible without PowerInbox’s automated platform. And, because ad insertion happens automatically, it saves publishers a huge amount of time in formatting and trafficking inventory. It even integrates with Google Ad Manager, allowing publishers to pull ad creative directly from existing online inventory with practically no effort.
Why Marketers Should Care
The PowerInbox platform should be on marketers’ radar for two reasons:
- Virtually every brand is a publisher these days, distributing blog content, email promotions and push notifications to subscribers. Marketers can also implement PowerInbox’s platform to manage multichannel content personalization and distribution, and even monetization. Brands can insert partner ads into their emails or drop their own curated product recommendations as “ads” into their transactional emails, suggesting some nice gloves to go along with those new boots, for example.
- Advertising with digital publishers using the PowerInbox platform is a great opportunity to put your brand in front of a highly targeted and engaged audience. Even before the pandemic, 2/3 of subscribers said they’d click on an ad in an email newsletter. Over the last six months, PowerInbox has seen a 38% increase in email opens, which means email engagement is skyrocketing. And 70% of users already subscribe to push notifications, so there’s huge potential there, as well.
As audiences expect more from marketers in terms of personalization and custom-curated content, platforms like PowerInbox provide the AI and automation that can allow us to achieve those high standards at scale. And, by giving our audiences more of what they want, we can build a stronger, more engaged relationship that drives loyalty and revenue.