Matt Nettleton is a professional sales trainer and my personal sales coach in Indianapolis. The work that he’s accomplished thus far has changed my (negative) attitude on selling and honed my marketing skills.
Sales is a lot more complicated than it used to be… by the time folks are calling your sales team, they are very well-informed. I believe it’s caused a massive shift in the system where sales are much more complex than it used to be and is best left to the professionals. If you’re not a qualified salesperson nowadays, you’re simply an order taker.
As a coach, Matt prequalifies the prospects he wishes to work with using five distinct characteristics:
- Desire – Does the prospect have the desire to change?
- Commitment – Is the prospect committed?
- Return on Investment – Is there a Return on Investment (ROI) on the client?
- Intellectual Humility – Does the client understand that they have the expertise but still require you to unleash it?
- Decisiveness – Is the prospect ready to make decisions that will change their behavior?
As online marketing grows in its acceptance as a marketing strategy for generating highly qualified leads, your website or blog must better define what makes a good client for your organization. Less work with unqualified leads and more time with leads that close is always a good thing.
Is your website effectively communicating what a highly qualified lead looks like to your organization? Hopefully, your website displays enough information to generate interest in your product or service, provides a clear picture of an ideal client, and doesn’t provide too much information that a great lead leaves without engaging. It’s a careful balance!