It's pretty shocking but more people utilize their smartphone to read email than to actually make phone calls (insert sarcasm about connectivity here). Purchases of older phone models have dropped by 17% year over year and 180% more business people are utilizing their smartphone to preview, filter, and read email than did a few years ago.
The problem, though, is that email applications haven't advanced as quickly as web browsers have. We're still stuck with desktop web clients like Outlook that rely on older HTML to render an email properly. Newer email clients will render the latest versions of HTML and CSS properly, allowing amazing email experiences. It ain't easy to send an email and have it render properly in the vast selection of smartphones, tablets, web, and software clients.
It's essential to use a testing engine like Litmus (we have it combined with our deliverability platform with 250ok, a partner). Responsive email is a combination of old-school table-driven HTML, CSS, and new HTML. The formatting and even the order of your email code is essential to maximize the readability across viewports.
Download Free Responsive Email Templates
If your ESP doesn't offer a responsive template, there are a few resources online to get help with responsive email:
- Zurb – has published a series of mobile-responsive email templates.
- Email on Acid – offers up a series of free email templates to get you up and running as fast as possible.
- Litmus has a selection built by Stamplia that you can download with the associated PSDs.
- Mailchimp has published some responsive templates on Github. And Respmail has added their own improvements.
- Responsive Email Resources – A collection of tools and resources for responsive email design.
- Themeforest has a vast selection of incredible paid offerings along with Photoshop files and instructions.
Services for Email Design and Responsive Coding
- Uplers – if you need a new design or have a design that needs coded, the folks at Uplers have done a fine job for a few of our clients!
- DK New Media – if you've got a unique problem that you need some assistance with, don't hesitate to reach out!
- Highbridge – if you're a Marketing Cloud or Pardot client and looking to implement a new email design, templates, and shared email templates, let us know.
As email marketers, responsive design has been a hot topic for a number of years as this inexorable growth has gathered steam. We've now reached the point where responsive email design, IS email design! In Instiller's latest infographic, we've compiled a bunch of eye-catching statistics that underscore the importance of catering to mobile users with your email communications.
Instiller is an Email Service Provider specifically built for agencies that offer a complete email solution to design, send and report on the email sent for their clients (they also include some deliverability tools and reputation monitoring).
The folks at Litmus have put together this fantastic infographic and accompanying article, The How-To Guide to Responsive Email Design.