At some point many decades ago, we just began taking for granted that the average household had a radio, then a telephone, and finally a television. I believe we’re reached that saturation with social media… do we really need to quantify the impact or try to convince a business that social media is here to stay? Yeesh, I hope not.
That doesn’t mean that it’s time for marketers to drop everything and bet it all on Snapchat, though. There are still traditional industries that use pen and paper, still companies that drive revenue with direct mail, still an ROI for many companies doing traditional media. In fact, traditional marketing is growing in its ability to segment and target members of the population. I digress… let’s get back to social media marketing. It’s big.
Are you considering using social media to promote your business in 2017? Need some facts and figures to help you form and execute your strategy? Wordstream shared some fantastic social media marketing stats in this recent post, and we gave it the infographic treatment below. Mark Walker-Ford, Founder and Managing Director of Red Website Design
Here are both intriguing and wacky facts and statistics about social media you’ll want to take a look at, according to Wordstream.
Social Media Demographic Statistics
- 75% of male internet users are on Facebook as well as 83% of female internet users Tweet This!
- 32% of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most important social network Tweet This!
- Female internet users are more likely to use Instagram than men, at 38% vs. 26% Tweet This!
- 29% of internet users with college degrees use Twitter, compared to 20% with high school degrees or less Tweet This!
- 81% of millennials check Twitter at least once per day Tweet This!
- Most Instagram users are between 18-29 years old, about six-in-ten online adults Tweet This!
- 22% of the world’s total population uses Facebook Tweet This!
- LinkedIn boasts more than 450 million user profiles Tweet This!
- On any given day, Snapchat reaches 41% of 18 to 34-year-olds in the US Tweet This!
- YouTube overall, and even YouTube on mobile alone, reaches more 18-34 and 18-49 year-olds than any cable network in the US Tweet This!
Social Media Usage Statistics
- Facebook continues to be the most widely used social media platform, with 79% of American internet users Tweet This! Based on total population, (not just internet users) 68% of U.S. adults are on Facebook.
- Instagram receives the silver medal with 32% of users Tweet This! Pinterest coming in a close third with 31%, and LinkedIn and Twitter at 29% and 24% respectively.
- 76% of Facebook users visited the site daily during 2016, with over 1.6 billion daily visitors, compared to 70% of daily usage Tweet This! in 2015.
- The average LinkedIn user spends 17 minutes on the site per month Tweet This!
- 51% of Instagram users access the platform daily, and 35% say they look at the platform several times per day Tweet This!
- Almost 80% of time spent on social media platforms happens on mobile Tweet This!
- Katy Perry has the most worldwide twitter followers, at 94.65 million Tweet This!
- Over 400 million snaps are shared on Snapchat per day, and almost 9,000 photos are shared every second Tweet This!
- Just 10 thousand YouTube videos have generated more than 1 billion views Tweet This!
- More than half of all YouTube views are on mobile devices Tweet This!
Social Media Business Statistics
- Instagram earns $595 million in mobile ad revenue per year, a rapidly increasing number Tweet This!
- Despite news of layoffs and executives leaving the company, Twitter’s revenue is up 8% YOY Tweet This!
- 59% of Americans with social media accounts think that customer service through social media has made it easier to get questions answered and issues resolved Tweet This!
- Over 50 million businesses use Facebook Business Pages Tweet This!
- 2 million business use to Facebook for advertising Tweet This!
- Facebook’s total revenue grew 56% in 2016, and advertising revenue grew 59% Tweet This!
- 93% of Pinterest users use the platform to plan or make purchases Tweet This!
- 39% of LinkedIn users pay for monthly premium accounts Tweet This!
- Pinterest drives 25% of all retail website referral traffic Tweet This!
- More than 56% of online adults use more than one social media platform Tweet This!
Social Media Content Statistics
- Tweets with images receive 18% more clicks than tweets without images Tweet This!
- 100 million food and 146 fashion boards exist on Pinterest Tweet This!
- On LinkedIn, 98% of posts with images receive more comments and posts with links have a 200% higher engagement rate Tweet This!
- There are about 81 million fake Facebook accounts and about 5% of twitter accounts are bogus Tweet This!
- 100 million hours of video content are watched on Facebook daily Tweet This!
- More than 1 million LinkedIn users have published long-form content, with 160,000 long-form posts being published weekly Tweet This! and over 19.7 million SlideShare presentations have been uploaded to the platform.
- 88% of businesses with more than 100 employees use twitter for marketing purposes Tweet This!
- The user-submitted YouTube video with the most views is Charlie bit my finger with over 845 million views Tweet This!
- Pizza is the most widely instagrammed food, directly ahead of steak and sushi Tweet This!
- Blogging continues to grow, with over 409 million people viewing more than 23.6 billion pages each month on WordPress alone Tweet This!
Check out this infographic from Red Website Design which compiles the pertinent statistics relating to social media marketing.
Today's digitally empowered customers create a challenge for organizations to sell, market and service them effectively. Expectations are higher than ever before, and customers openly share both positive and negative experiences with just a few clicks on review websites, app ratings and social media.