No doubt that the influence of social media as a marketing channel increases each year. Some platforms arise, such as TikTok, and some remain almost the same as Facebook, leading to progressive change in consumer behavior. However, with years people got used to brands presented on social media, so marketers need to invent new approaches to achieve success on this channel.
That's why keeping an eye on the latest trends is crucial to any marketing professional. We at YouScan decided to simplify this task for you and prepared an infographic containing such facts and statistics as the preferred types of content on different platforms, consumer behavior online, engagement comparison over various platforms.
Social Media Video Statistics:
- By 2022, 84% of all the content on social media will be presented in video.
- 51% of brands are already using videos instead of images on Instagram.
- 34% of men and 32% of women are searching for educational videos.
- 40% of users would like to see more branded streams.
- 52% of users prefer watching 5-6 minute videos depending on the platform.
Social Media Content Statistics:
- 68% of users find branded content boring and not appealing.
- 37% of social media users scroll the feed looking for news. 35% of users are looking for entertainment.
- Memes have surpassed emoji and GIFs in popularity and are now the primary communication tool online.
- Entertaining content is the number 1 reason for using TikTok.
Social Media Consumer and Audience Statistics:
- 85% of TikTok users also use Facebook, or 86% of the Twitter audience are also active on Instagram.
- 45% of users worldwide are more likely to look for brands on social media than on search engines.
- 87% of users admit that social media helped them to make a purchase decision.
- 55% of users have purchased goods directly on social media platforms.
Social Media Influencer Statistics:
- Each $1.00 spent on building relations with influencers returns an average of $5.20.
- 50% of Twitter users have ever purchased something after engaging with the influencer's tweet.
- 71% of users make purchase decisions based on influencer recommendations on social networks.
- Micro-influencers had engagement rates of 17.96% on TikTok, 3.86% on Instagram, and 1.63% on YouTube, generating more engagement than Mega-influencers who had engagement rates of 4.96% on TikTok, 1.21% on Instagram, and 0.37% on YouTube.
Social Media Platform Statistics:
- 37% of TikTok users have a household income of $100k+ annually.
- 70% of teenagers trust YouTubers they are following, more than any other celebrities.
- 6 out of 10 YouTube users are more likely to follow vlogger's advice rather than any TV host or actor.
- 80% of people interested in a product buy it after watching reviews on YouTube.
- In 2020, the engagement rate on Instagram increased by 6.4%. At the same time, the number of posts on Instagram feed is falling: a lot of brands switched to posting more stories.
YouScan is an AI-powered social media intelligence platform with industry-leading image recognition capabilities. We help businesses analyze consumer opinions, discover actionable insights, and manage brand reputation.