App Press was developed to bridge the knowledge gap between graphic designers and developers. As a designer, founder Grant Glas wanted to build apps code free. As a developer, Kevin Smith wrote the solution. They created 32 apps utilizing an early version of App Press and since launching, 3,000+ users have created apps on their platform.
App Press was created to look just like Photoshop and function like Keynote. This allows any designer to jump in and start building instantly. No other app creation tool looks and functions like App Press.
App Press Features
- Layout Editor – Begin creating your app within minutes using the layout editor. App Press starts as a blank canvas and allows the designer to create pages using a layering concept. Upload layers on pages then uniquely assign touch enabled functionality. Link to other pages in your app or external websites through hotspot layers; create linear or non-linear navigation. App Press is web based and requires no software installation. It doesn't matter if you are on a Mac or a PC, at home or at work, you can access your designs anywhere, at any time.
- Asset Library – Upload all your app's layers into your asset library. For an even quicker and easier method, link your Dropbox account and eliminate the uploading process altogether. Our team of designers also put together several free assets. These assets include buttons, backgrounds, headers and footers which anyone can use in their app. The Basic App Press account starts with 100 MB of space for your library and the Pro account has 500 MB.
- Start Designing Now – The layering creation process is familiar to any designer. Since Photoshop 3.0 was introduced in 1994, layering has been a trusted method for every designer. Implementing that concept into App Press allows even a junior designer to create apps effectively and efficiently. Pick a layer from your Asset Library and position it on your Layout Editor's blank canvas. The design process is easy, simple and clean.
- Create Sections and Pages – An app created in App Press embodies the touch and look of a print piece while engrained with the navigation concept of a website. Build sections to create a non-linear navigation linked together via hotspots or build a linear navigation that flows like a magazine. Create an experience unlike any other using App Press.
- Easy Hotspots – Quickly add touch navigation and functionality to your app with hotspots. There are three different hotspot types in App Press that allow you to link your pages together, pull up web content or integrate one tap Twitter and Facebook sharing.
App Press has also developed their own Previewer App. The app allows you to instantly preview your app on any device. This free app is available on the App Store, Google Play and as web app. Install it on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android powered phone and/or tablet to preview any changes you make.
You can check out some of the applications that have been developed on App Press on their site.