We love our mobile application (iOS, Android)… not just because it’s really great at presenting our content but because our audience has such incredible engagement with it. Our mobile application users are deeply engaged, reading multiple articles, listening to our podcasts, and viewing our videos.
It wasn’t easy, though! We didn’t have a checklist to build out the application nor how to market it. Thankfully, the folks at Dot Com Infoway have put together just that.
10-Step Checklist to Build & Market a Successful App details the necessary course of action – step-by-step from app concept to launch – to help apps reach their full potential. Serving as a business model for developers and creative hopefuls, the infographic is composed of foundational notes and operational checkpoints as well as tips for general success.
The checklist includes:
- Mobile Application Strategy – the name, the platform and how you wish to generate revenue with it.
- Competitive Analysis – who is out there, what are they doing and not doing that can differentiate your mobile app?
- Website Setup – where will you promote the application, place buttons for mobile users, or insert meta information that displays your app?
- Building Your App – how can you optimize the design for the user and device and integrate it socially?
- Mobile App User Testing – release a beta version through a tool like TestFlight to identify bugs, solicit feedback, and observe usage of your app.
- App Store Optimization – the screenshots and content you provide on the app store can make a huge difference in whether or not people download it.
- Marketing Creatives – What videos, trailers, images and infographics can you distribute that promotes your mobile application?
- Social Media Activities – I probably would have just called this promotion and merged it with the creatives, but you do need to share the app’s capabilities often on social… where you’ll pick up a lot of users.
- Press Kit – Press releases, screenshots, company profile and targeted lists of sites to tell that your app has arrived!
- Marketing Budget – You had a development budget… what’s the marketing budget for your app?
This is a great checklist but two CRUCIAL steps are missing:
- App Reviews – Soliciting reviews from your mobile application users not only will help you optimize and improve the next version of your application, it will also skyrocket a great application to the top of the mobile application rankings.
- App Performance – Monitoring your application’s performance via App Annie, SensorTower, or AppFigures to monitor your rank, competition, monetization, and reviews is key to improving your mobile app performance.