Yesterday we announced that DK New Media was named aHootsuite Solution Partner. We’ve all been using the Hootsuite Pro account for a couple of years and love the continued features and flexibility it’s been providing our team. And… it’s at a fraction of the cost of most social publishing engines.
We’ve been pushing all of our clients to fully leverage campaign tracking when posting their links to Hootsuite. Many folks think they need to manually write that URL querystring – butHootsuite actually offers a very nice interface for appending the necessary campaign tracking information.
The campaign querystring is composed of 5 parameters:
- Campaign Source (utm_source) – a required parameter. Use utm_source to identify a search engine, newsletter name, or other source. Example: utm_source=google
- Campaign Medium (utm_medium) – a required parameter. Use utm_medium to identify a medium such as email or cost-per- click. Example: utm_medium=cpc
- Campaign Term (utm_term) – an optional parameter. Used for paid search. Use utm_term to note the keywords for this ad.
- Campaign Content (utm_content) – an optional parameter. Used for A/B testing and content-targeted ads. Use utm_content to differentiate ads or links that point to the same URL. Examples: utm_content=logolink or utm_content=textlink
- Campaign Name (utm_campaign) – an optional parameter. Used for keyword analysis. Use utm_campaign to identify a specific product promotion or strategic campaign. Example: utm_campaign=spring_sale
Here’s a close-up where we’ve set up the URL to have Google Analytics campaign tracking. If you check the optional box, you can have it always add campaign tracking to every URL. That’s not a bad idea… and could get you on the radar of external sites that you’re sending a lot of referral traffic to.
When you enter your URL in the link area, you’ll see a gear that you can click to drop down the advanced fields to add campaign tracking. One of the presets is already Google Analytics. If you’re using another web analytics platform, you can easily add your own presets here, too!
We’ll be sharing a lot more tips and tricks here on how to fully leverage Hootsuite Pro for your corporate social media strategies. Disclosure: We’ll also be sharing affiliate links when we post these articles.