What's the value of a logo? Ask a company like Nike and you might say millions of dollars – but the truth is that, in 1971, Nike paid $35 for their logo. These days, the going rate for professional logo design can be anywhere between $150 and $50,000. We recently worked with a client that spent $16,000 on a logo design only to find it when they did a Google Image Search for their industry… they got rid of the firm and did an online design contest instead for $250 and got an original, unique, and well-designed logo that fit their overall brand.
We absolutely see the value in an overall brand, branding guide, and accompanying logo. That can be a significant investment, but companies who have made the investment have absolutely seen the results. Sometimes you simply can't afford that, though, and we understand! If you just need a logo, in all honesty there are some amazing resources out there.
Here are over 50 logo design resources I found online, from inspiration to awards, to contests and crowdsourcing, to blogs and history sites. Enjoy!
The Making of a Logo
Love this video of a designer actually creating a logo in Adobe Illustrator.
How to Design the Perfect Logo
Discover what it takes to create a perfect logo with these 10 essential logo design tips from Just Creative, plus a logo design infographic! Enjoy.
- The logo should be simple.
- The logo should be timeless.
- The logo should be creative.
- The logo should be readable.
- The logo should be adaptive.
- The logo should be responsive.
- The logo should be unique.
- The logo should be relevant.
- The logo should be clever.
- The logo should be professional.
Sometimes you know what you want, but simply don't have the talent to take your napkin sketch to a professional logo.
- Logotypers – Upload a sketch (a picture with your phone, a PowerPoint file, or a drawing in Paint) and we'll turn it into a great logo within hours.
Design Your Own Logo
DesignEvo is an online logo maker that helps you create unique and professional logos for free. They offer over one million icons available to search through, hundreds of text fonts and shapes to choose from and a powerful editing tool to customize your logo.
Crowdsourced Logo Design resources:
Crowdsourced sites have distribution networks of graphic designers who can submit logos. The winner is awarded the money. (Great for you… not always great for the designers!)
- Crowdspring – crowdsourced from $200.
- DesignContest – launch your own contest from $100.
- DesignCrowd – Need a Logo Design? Crowdsource Your Designs Online Now!
- Digital Point – post your own price and requirements in these forums.
- eYeka – crowdsourced contests where you name your own price (upscale pricing and prizes).
- 48hoursLogo – crowdsourced design from $89
- Graphic Competitions – competition from $1,000
- GraphicRiver – logo designs and templates
- Hatchwise – contests from $100
- LogoMyWay – contests from $200.
- LogoTournament – Get the logo that you really want by choosing from 50-200+ custom designs from $275.
- 99designs – crowdsourced designs from $211
- MycroBurst – crowdsourced from $149
- pickyDESIGNS – Host your design contest
- ZenLayout – contests starting at $250
Professional Logo Companies:
Agencies who provide logo services generally guarantee that their work is unique and work to match your logo to your overall brand.
- Affordable Logo Design – packages from $45.
- BusinessLogo.net – packages from $99.
- BXC – branding company, request a quote.
- Company Folders – free consultation, design service starting at $75 per hour
- Infinity Logo Design – designs from $89
- Inkd – professional design packages from $99
- LogoBee – designs from $199
- Logo Factory – logo designs from $395
- Logo Design Team – packages from $149
- Logo International Design Agency – contact for quotes
- The Logo Loft – packages from $99.
- LogoMagic.com – packages starting from $269.
- LogoNerds.com – packages starting at $27.
- Logotion – packages starting at $250.
- Logoworks – from HP, designs from $299.
- The NetMen – design starting from $149.
- Vistaprint – pre-made and automated logos starting for free utilizing their services.
Logo Inspiration Sites:
Perhaps you'd like to try to create your own logo or find a few inspiring ones to refer to! Here are some great resource sites for logos.
- Blog-omotives – from branding consultant Jeff Fisher
- Creattica – a site from Envato
- Famous Logos – a website dedicated to bringing you some of the best news, reviews, and information related to the logo design industry.
- Logobird – Logobird is a London-based design blog & studio.
- The Logo Company – Custom Logo Designs… taking designs to new heights.
- Logo Bliss – logo design inspiration and gallery site.
- LogoPond – Logopond showcases the best in identity work from around the web. Logo artist from all development stages and areas of the world frequent this site.
- Logo Blog – Logo Blog is dedicated to being the web's premier resource for logo design.
- Logo Design Blog – Logo Designer Blog is a blog focused purely on branding, logo & identity design.
- Logo From Dreams Awards – a blog with monthly submissions and a monthly winner.
- Logolog – Logolog is a blog about logo design.
- Logolounge – news and trends on logos.
- Media Bistro – annual logo awards site.
My Logo for DK New Media
Years ago, my designer saw my logo and he continued to ask me if I'd like it updated. I kept saying no and then he actually provided me with his version…
It's a fantastic example of something both unique and memorable (in my opinion). The artist did several things:
- He incorporated both d and k (sort of)
- He used an up arrow to represent my ability to help clients grow.
- He used unconventional angles on each side of the logo to represent that I didn't do things typically.
While I never actually asked him for the redesign, I immediately fell in love with how it represented my personal brand. I was redesigning cards, my signs, and my website the next day!
Buy Vector Logo files to Design Your Own
We love our sponsors at Depositphotos and they have a ton of logos that you can purchase the vector files for. See something close to what you need? Buy it, download it and customize it to make it your own!
Disclosure: We're using affiliate links throughout this post.