The growth of social media sales and marketing within organizations has been on an upward trajectory over the past few years and is expected to continue growing. As social media platforms evolve and user behavior shifts, businesses are recognizing the value of incorporating social media into their sales and marketing strategies.
There are 4.76 billion social media users in the world today – equivalent to 59.4 percent of the world’s total population. The number of social media users around the world grew by 137 million over the past 12 months.Datareportal
Some factors contributing to this growth include:
- Increasing social media usage: With more people using social media worldwide, businesses see these platforms as crucial channels to reach and engage their target audience.
- Focus on customer engagement and personalization: Social media platforms allow businesses to interact directly with customers, provide personalized content, and foster relationships. This helps organizations create brand loyalty, increase customer retention, and drive sales.
- Shift towards social commerce: Platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest have introduced shopping features that enable users to discover and purchase products directly within the apps. These features have made social media an essential part of the customer journey, from product discovery to purchase.
- Emergence of new platforms and formats: The rise of platforms like TikTok and the popularity of short-form video content have created new opportunities for marketers to engage audiences and generate sales.
- Influencer marketing: Many organizations have embraced influencer marketing as a cost-effective and authentic way to reach their target audience, partnering with micro and nano influencers to promote their products and services.
- Improved targeting and analytics: Social media platforms offer sophisticated targeting options and analytics tools, enabling businesses to reach specific audience segments and measure the success of their campaigns. This allows organizations to optimize their marketing strategies and allocate their resources more efficiently.
Considering these factors, it’s evident that social media sales and marketing will continue to grow as organizations recognize the importance of leveraging these platforms to reach and engage their target audience, drive sales, and foster brand loyalty. As social media trends and user behavior continue to evolve, businesses that stay agile and adapt their strategies to capitalize on these changes will be better positioned to succeed in an increasingly competitive landscape.
10 Social Media Trends For 2023
As social media continues to evolve, brands need to adapt their strategies to stay ahead of the game. From TikTok SEO to the Metaverse, Creatopy created this infographic, 10 Social Media Trends for 2023, to illustrate the trends that will shape your social media strategy. Here are the top ten:
- TikTok SEO: With Gen Zers turning to TikTok for search, marketers should optimize their content for TikTok’s search results pages, improving visibility on TikTok and… ultimately Google, too.
In our studies, something like almost 40% of young people, when they’re looking for a place for lunch, they don’t go to Google Maps or Search. They go to TikTok or Instagram.Prabhakar Raghavan, SVP of Google Knowledge & Information
- Brands as creators: As algorithms prioritize engagement, brands must adopt a more creative and engaging approach to content creation.
- Short-form video dominance: Short-form video is set to be the star of social media strategies in 2023, with TikTok leading the charge and other platforms vying for a piece of the action.
Consumers consider short-form videos to be 2.5 times more engaging than long-form videos. 66% of consumers report short-form video to be the most engaging type of social media content in 2022, up from 50% in 2020.Sprout Social
- Viral songs and sounds: Brands can capitalize on trending sounds or create their own, as demonstrated by HBO’s negroni sbagliato #houseofthedragon drink phenomenon.
- Niche communities: Brands should build and nurture niche communities around shared interests, providing value and forming strong connections with leads and customers.
- Zero-click content: Native content that requires no user action is prioritized by social media algorithms, making zero-click content a smart strategy.
- Micro and nano-influencer collaborations: Smaller influencers offer more authenticity and engagement at a lower cost, making them an attractive option for brands.
Nano-influencers with fewer than 5,000 followers have the highest engagement rates (5%). This seems to decrease as the follower count skyrockets until reaching the celebrity level (1.6%). Almost half (47.3%) of influencers are micro-influencers with 5,000—20,000 followers on their biggest social media platform.MarketSplash
- Data privacy concerns: As consumers grow more concerned about data privacy, marketers must find ways to responsibly collect and use personal information.
- Customer experience on social channels: Brands should prioritize customer experience on social media, using tools like chatbots to streamline communication and enhance relationships.
- The metaverse: As virtual reality (VR) gains traction, marketers should explore new opportunities for promotion and engagement in the metaverse, an emerging digital realm.
The global metaverse market size was valued at USD 100.27 billion in 2022 and is projected to grow USD 1,527.55 billion by 2029, at a CAGR of 47.6%Fortune Business Insights
How To Incorporate These Social Media Trends
To capitalize on the top social media trends in 2023, marketers should consider the following advice:
- Embrace TikTok SEO: Research and utilize relevant hashtags and keywords to improve your content’s discoverability on TikTok. Just as you perform search engine optimization (SEO) on your site, you should be optimizing for search on TikTok. Optimize relevant hashtags, keywords, captions, and video descriptions to increase your chances of appearing on both TikTok search result pages.
- Adopt a creator mindset: Focus on creating engaging, authentic, and high-quality content that resonates with your target audience. Study successful creators and learn from their strategies to improve your brand’s social media presence.
- Invest in short-form video content: Develop a content plan that includes short-form videos on platforms like TikTok, Instagram Reels, and YouTube Shorts. Make your videos visually appealing, informative, and shareable to increase engagement and reach. The good news here is that modern video editing tools now incorporate short-form and vertical video editing tools that can reduce the effort necessary to publish your videos.
- Leverage viral songs and sounds: Incorporate popular songs or sounds in your content to increase its shareability and relevance. Alternatively, create your own branded sound or jingle to make your content stand out.
- Build and engage niche communities: Identify your target audience’s interests and create content tailored to their needs. Establish niche communities on platforms like Facebook Groups or Discord, where you can provide value and foster strong connections with your audience.
- Utilize zero-click content: Create content that delivers information quickly and concisely, with no need for user action. Utilize formats like carousel posts, infographics, or quick tips to share valuable information natively on social media platforms.
- Collaborate with micro and nano-influencers: Identify influencers who align with your brand values and have high engagement rates. Develop partnerships that involve authentic endorsements, sponsored content, or co-created content to maximize credibility and reach. Influencer marketing platforms can help you identify and collaborate with these folks.
- Prioritize data privacy: Be transparent about your data collection and usage practices, and ensure compliance with relevant privacy regulations. Offer personalized experiences through direct communication channels like email or chatbots, where users willingly share their information.
- Enhance customer experience (CX): Use social media as a customer support channel by responding promptly to comments, messages, and reviews. Implement chatbots to assist customers and gather valuable feedback to improve your products or services.
- Explore the metaverse: Stay informed about developments in the metaverse and seek opportunities to promote your brand in virtual spaces. Consider creating branded digital assets, sponsoring virtual events, or collaborating with metaverse influencers to increase brand visibility and engagement.
By adapting your marketing strategy to these trends, you can stay ahead of the curve and effectively reach and engage with your audience in the ever-evolving social media landscape.