As mentioned previously in Everything You Need to Know About Artificial Intelligence and Its Impact on PPC, Native, and Display Advertising, this is a two part series of articles focusing on paid media, artificial intelligence and native advertising. I spent the last several months conducting copious amounts of research in these specific areas which culminated into the publication of two free ebooks. The first, Everything You Need to Know About Marketing Analytics and Artificial Intelligence, was mentioned in the first article. The second rolls out what I uncovered cataloging the 2018 native advertising technology landscape – The Global Guide to Native Advertising Technology 2018.
From 2017 to 2018 there was nearly 50% growth in the number of native ad tech vendors. It went from 272 to 402. The methodology of the categories and the project at large can be found here.
The 2018 Native Advertising Technology Landscape
Since we're already in Q2, I thought I’d take a look at the growth of the native ad tech landscape in just Q1 of this year. In the last three months the landscape has grown by 48 vendors for a total of 450. That’s nearly a 12% increase since the beginning of 2018.
At that rate of growth, the 2019 vendor landscape will have annual growth of 48%, the precise growth from 2017 to 2018. Now let’s explore the vendors that didn’t make the original 2018 native ad tech landscape and the categories they are in.
Note: Just because these vendors didn’t make the original 2018 landscape doesn’t mean they didn’t exist in 2017. It just means I discovered them Q1 of 2018.
- Adiant – Native and non-native advertising units
- Adknowledge – Programmatic native and non-native advertising units
- Adzerk – Technology platform and APIs for buiding a native ad server
- Content Ignite – White label solution to take very own native platform to market. For publishers, advertisers and agencies
- DeepIntent – AI-driven native and non-native advertising units. Platform and exchange.
- Improve Digital – All-in-one advertising platform for publishers, content providers and broadcasters
- IndustryBrains – Premium native ad serving suite for publishers and advertisers
- OptiServe – Platform that facilitates the buying and selling of native and non-native inventory from Adiant
- RythmMax – Omni-channal exchange for RhythmOne
- Revenee – Programmatic native advertising SSP
- Solve Media – Native advertising through CAPTCHA
- Ströer – Programmatic ad server with both native and non-native capability – Germany, Austria, Switzerland
- Yieldlab – Premium native ad serving suite for publishers and advertisers – Native and non-native
- Apple News App – Native ad units in the Apple News app
- Cheetah Media Link – App monetization and customer acquisition using native units
- Glispa – Mobile only programmatic exchange, content discovery and playable creatives
- Madgic – Predictive programmatic mobile advertising technology. Connects supply and demand.
- Opera Media Works – Acquired by AdColony
- Pokkt – Mobile only exchange focused mostly on video and gaming
DSPs/Managed Services Technology
- BizzClick – A full-stack programmable advertising platform for native, display, mobile and video
- Maximus – Cross-platform native advertising campaign management
- Oath – Platform that taps into Gemini and BrightRoll
- SoMo Audience – A Self Service DSP created to help set up and run Internet advertising programs. Swipe thru technology.
- LiquidM – A mobile only self-service DSP
- Biites – A video marketplace for connecting content, brands and publishers
- GothamAds – Video only SSP and DSP
- Anzu.io – Native ad units and formats with call-to-action and advanced interactivity features support across all major platforms and devices
- ShareChat – India's fastest growing social network
Social Media Native Ad Management
- Connectio – Facebook advertising platform
- Facebook Messenger – In-feed sponsored content units
Attribution and Analytics
- Tune – Tracking and attribution for native, non-native advertising and marketing
- Buzzanova – An influencer driven platform with paid distribution on networks and social media
- Crowdtap – Connects brands with micro-influencers. Pay using rewards – products or services. Gamified.
- Spider.Ad – Connects influencers and content creators with advertisers
Sponsored Content Marketplaces
- ContentDial (by Triplelift) – Programmatic-driven sponsored content marketplace
- Amplio – Amazon seller software with white-glove service teams
- Ecommerce Search Ad Insight (Kantar Media) – Competitive intelligence tool for monitoring sponsored ads on Amazon
- Sellics – It’s an Amazon PPC management software that tracks, analyzes and optimizes for performance
- Teikametrics – Software that optimizes sponsored product campaigns on Amazon
- Viral Launch – Amazon intelligence and seller platform for startups and enterprises
Blockchain for Native
- adToken – The token that powers adChain's technology
- ClearCoin – A technology company that powers the real-time buying and selling of media on decentralized applications and the broader digital environment
- DATx – Blockchain-powered digital advertising terminal to build native and non-native networks on
- IVEP – Blockchain-Based Cross-Platform and Cross-Network Protocol For Audio and Video Content
- Market – Connects bloggers and social media influencers with advertisers
- WildSpark – Blockchain driven content curation platform that connects creators and advertisers
- HQ Trivia (Intermedia Labs) – Native advertising in a trivia game app
- Playtem – Native advertising in video games
According to ADYOULIKE, global native advertising spend will be $85.5 billion by 2020 and make up 30% of all advertising spending globally. Juxtaposing Q1’s numbers with all of numbers from last year make it clear that the native advertising technology landscape growth isn’t slowing down. The growth is consistent with the growth of last year’s numbers – in fact, it’s exactly the same. Entrepreneurs are jockeying for their piece of the native advertising investment growth.