People use social media to find and engage with local businesses in various ways, leveraging the platforms’ features like search and discovery tools, user-generated content (UGC), and influencer recommendations. Social media platforms have become essential for regional companies to connect with their audience, increase brand awareness, and drive sales.
Statistics highlight the importance of social media for local businesses:
- Facebook Usage: 66% of Facebook users visit a local business page at least once a week, and 69% of online shoppers who use Meta platforms weekly made purchases after seeing personalized content on Facebook or Instagram. Source
- Influencer Impact: 49% of consumers rely on recommendations from social media influencers for their purchasing decisions. Source
- Engagement and Sales: 76% of local businesses use social media as part of their marketing strategy, with 41% relying on it to help drive revenue. Customers who engage with a business on social media tend to spend 40% more on that brand’s products and services. Source
- Brand Awareness and Trust: Authentic and trustworthy content, including user-generated content, has become increasingly significant. For example, TikTok and Instagram provide platforms for authentic user experiences that can be more trustworthy than traditional reviews. Source
Best practices for regional companies to take advantage of social media include:
- Prioritize Authentic Content: Sharing real, unfiltered experiences helps build trust with your audience.
- Engage with Your Audience: Respond to comments and messages, and encourage user-generated content. Engaging with users who share their experiences can significantly enhance brand perception and customer loyalty.
- Leverage Influencer Marketing: Collaborating with influencers, particularly on platforms like Instagram and YouTube, can effectively reach a broader audience and build credibility.
- Utilize Visual Content: Visuals, especially videos, are likelier to be shared and engage users. Incorporating video content into your strategy can significantly increase your reach and impact.
- Focus on Targeted Advertising: Customizing content and ads to your audience’s preferences and behaviors can increase engagement and conversions.
- Monitor and Adapt to Trends: Stay updated with the latest social media trends and platform updates to keep your strategy relevant and effective.
By effectively using social media, local businesses can increase their visibility, engage with their community more meaningfully, and ultimately drive growth and revenue. This infographic presents several statistics about the use of social media in relation to local businesses:
- 15% of consumers use social networking sites to search for local businesses.
- 71% of social media participants are more likely to purchase from a brand they follow online.
- 23% of brand marketers are developing social media strategies but are struggling to execute them.
- Social networks and blogs account for nearly a quarter of the total time Americans spend online.
- 25% of local searchers on social media are more likely to use a business with information on a social media site.
- 91% of local searches say they use Facebook to find local businesses online.
The source information listed at the bottom indicates that these statistics were compiled from various studies and reports from 2010 to 2012 by organizations like comScore, Localeze, Universal McCann, and the Nielsen Company. It’s worth noting that these statistics might have changed in the current social media landscape, as user behavior and platform popularity can shift rapidly over time.