The practice of managing the spread of information between an individual or an organization (such as a business, government agency, or non-profit) and the public. The goal of PR is to create and maintain a positive image and reputation for the entity in question.
PR professionals use a variety of techniques to shape and disseminate messages to different audiences, such as the media, consumers, policymakers, and other stakeholders. Some common PR activities include:
- Writing and distributing press releases to announce news or events
- Organizing press conferences and other events to promote an organization or its products/services
- Coordinating interviews with key personnel and providing background information to journalists
- Building relationships with influencers and other members of the media
- Creating and maintaining an organization’s social media presence
- Developing and implementing crisis communications plans
- Advising management on the public relations implications of proposed policies or actions.
Overall, the goal of PR is to create and maintain a positive public perception of the organization and help to achieve its goals by creating a favorable relationship between the organization and public.
- Abbreviation: PR