If you've ever developed a survey and hoped to acquire quantitative and qualitative findings from the answers, you understand how difficult it is to word the questions. The verbiage, structure, and grammar you ask can lead to results that will lead your research astray.
As a product manager, I ran into this a lot with focus groups. If I were testing a new user interface, asking for feedback could make the recipient scour the interface to try and find something wrong… despite the fact that it may be well designed. If I ask if something is difficult or if something is missing, the user would instantly look for a problem… that may not exist.
Instead, we just asked the user to take an action and then describe how they were going about the action. While this removed any bias, it required a lot of post analysis to quantify the results into quality assumptions or recommendations. Those results were often still the best guess… not a statistically valid conclusion.
How Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning
Some of the richest, most transformative insights come from asking open-ended questions. Why is a perfect example. But the answer to why isn't a numeric, binary, or option response… so it's always been difficult to get the quantitative and qualitative results you need from asking open-ended questions to guide business decisions.
Thankfully, natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML) can overcome these issues! By combining machine learning with crowd intelligence, GroupSolver is a market research technology platform that uses artificial intelligence to ask and consolidate qualitative as well as quantitative questions in online surveys.
GroupSolver fits between the do-it-yourself platforms, such as Survey Monkey and Google Surveys, and the full-service research companies, such as McKinsey & Company and Accenture.
What sets GroupSolver apart is their approach to processing natural language answers, using:
- Crowd Intelligence – Respondents answer open-ended questions in their own words, then they collaborate.
- Machine Learning – Answers from the open-ended questions are processed by a dynamic and self-calibrating algorithm.
- Advanced Statistics – the platform validates natural language answers and quantifies qualitative insights.
GroupSolver Tools Include
- AI Open Answers™ – By combining machine learning with crowd intelligence, GroupSolver automatically organizes and quantifies open-ended answers. No data training, no human moderating, and no free-text coding are necessary.
- IdeaCluster™ – IdeaCluster shows correlations between individual open-ended answers. Quite helpful when building customer personas or telling a brand story. That is right – GroupSolver liberated correlation and regression models from an exclusive relationship with quantitative data.
- IntelliSegment™ – IntelliSegment is an intelligent segmentation tool that can help you understand how answers to open-ended questions differ for specific respondent segments. It’s like finding a story in a haystack.
- IdeaCloud™ – IdeaCloud is a compact and prioritized presentation of the most supported answers to the open-ended question. Larger font denotes answers with higher support among respondents. The smaller font is for… well, answers that didn’t quite get it done.
- Consensus Solution™ – Consensus Solution is a set of highly supported answers that are positively correlated with each other. It shows answers that get along well and constitute a consensus agreement among respondents.
- Choice answers – Besides being the bread and butter of survey research, answers to multiple-choice questions can be helpful in building respondent segments for richer insights. We keep them fresh and updated in real-time.
- Data Importer – If you have already collected information about your respondents, you can upload it to our dashboard. Use it to cut GroupSolver data or build new respondent segments.
- Answer Manager – Watch how respondents answer your questions in real-time. Group and validate them with a click of a button. We trust our machine, but data sometimes needs a gentle human touch.
- Data Downloader – Export raw data for further analysis with standard statistical software such as SPSS, R, or Excel.
GroupSolver's visual dashboard enables users to view and work with your insights. Data is processed and updated as it is being collected, so you can preview results at any time.