Every year we test a ton of WordPress plugins. We manage over 30 installations of WordPress for business clients and constantly strive to identify and implement plugins to help drive business results. We have also designed our own themes from scratch and developed WordPress plugins for several clients (as well as our own). We’ve been working with WordPress for Business for over a decade now and are a leader in the industry.
We have found that many of the Best WordPress Plugins Lists are tailored to the personal blogger and don’t actually focus on businesses and their unique efforts in designing and developing content strategies that help to promote their business. As well, we have found some great plugins that are resource hogs and slow your site… and have found other plugins that work great but are terribly developed, causing conflicts and other issues to arise.
Below is a tried and true set of WordPress plugins for business that we believe are the best in the vast landscape of WordPress plugins.
Some WordPress plugin popularity has been driven by personal or consumer-based installations. What about business? We’ve put together a list of our favorite plugins that we believe enable WordPress business users to capitalize on their content and drive results through search engines and social media, via mobile, tablet or desktop… and fully integrate their social and video strategies.
Engage & Convert
- OptinMonster – Create attention-grabbing opt-in forms that turn visitors into subscribers and customers. Choose from popups, floating footer bars, slide-ins and others to create your opt-in form in 60 seconds flat.
- CircuPress - Send beautiful, responsive newsletters with your latest posts to subscribers with ease, without leaving WordPress. Reliable email marketing and subscriber management right from your WordPress administrative panel.
- Drip – Gather new email subscribers and automatically send a user a series of emails without writing any code. Drip is lightweight marketing automation that doesn’t suck.
Power Up Your Content
- Atomic Engager – Analyzes audience data and helps you write relevant, targeted content for maximum engagement. Boasts a 75% boost in audience engagement among its users.
- FeedPress – A reliable alternative to FeedBurner, FeedPress automatically handles feed redirections and updates your feed in real time each time you publish a new post.
- SB RSS Feed Plus – Add a post thumbnail, signature (e.g., “Source: XYZ”) and advertisements to your RSS feed.
- Maven Algolia – Add autocomplete to your WordPress site search, reflecting real-time changes, thumbnail images and additions to your content.
- Image Rotator Widget – Rotate images in a jiffy with a handy sidebar widget utilizing jQuery. Choose from linear, loop and fade transitions, then apply customization options like transition speed, open in new window, and more.
- Kraken Image Optimizer – Optimizes images and thumbnails on the fly, enabling you to lower image size and load times without losing quality.
More Functional Forms
- Formstack – Adds a button to your WordPress editor so you can easily select and embed aFormstack web form. Insert the shortcode into your content or use a widget for seamless integration.
- Gravity Forms – Quick and easy form building with a variety of configuration options easily integrated with third-party services like PayPal, MailChimp, AWeber, and others. Add-ons available for enhanced functionality.
Get Social, Found & Shared
- Easy Social Share Buttons – Enables you to share, monitor and increase your social traffic with a slew of customization and analytics features.
- WordPress SEO – The first true, all-in-one SEO solution for WordPress, including on-page content analysis, XML sitemaps, authorship and more.
- Video SEO for WordPress – The Video SEO for WordPress plugin makes sure that your embedded videos are shown in the video search results as videos, with a thumbnail image.
- PubSubHubbub – Lets people know in real time when your blog is updated. Used by Google Reader, Google Alerts and others.
- YouTube Sidebar Widget – Inserts YouTube thumbnails or playlist in your WordPress theme using widgets.
Build a Stronger, More Functional Foundation
- Teleport – Get around WordPress quickly with a little teleportation magic — namely, handy keyboard shortcuts requiring just two taps.
- Advanced Custom Fields – Make it easy for administrators, authors and editors to customize your website by simplifying its administration. ACF is simple to implement and highly customizable. Buy the additional licensed add-ons for some incredible features.
- Akismet – WordPress’ most popular plugin, Akismet is possibly the best way in the world to protect your blog from comment and trackback spam. Don’t just install it, report those jerks!
- Google Analytics by Yoast – Track your WordPress site easily and with lots of metadata, including views per author & category, automatic tracking of outbound clicks and page views. (Formerly Google Analytics for WordPress.)
- JetPack by WordPress – Adds features previously only available to WordPress.com users including customization, traffic, mobile, content and performance tools.
- Cookillian – Provides extensible support for EU/UK compliance of the EC Cookie Directive (2009/136/EC), based on a visitor’s location.
We also wanted to mention some services outside the plugins that make your business blog run fantastic!
- Flywheel – Trusted, Secure and Fast Business Hosting – This managed WordPress hosting service increases your site’s loading speed and ensures your site stays up, performs well, and is backed up on a regular basis.
- CircuPress – Any digital marketer worth their salt knows the money is in the list. Turn your list to gold by sending reliable, responsive newsletters without lifting a finger and manage subscribers without leaving WordPress.
- Themeforest – Find The Best WordPress Themes on the Planet. Over 17,000 WordPress templates by designers, developers and creatives from all over the globe can be found on Themeforest!
- Promote Your Business with Sponsored Content from Taboola! Taboola can recommend your content across many of the world’s most highly-trafficked sites.
With the wide variety of leading marketing automation solutions on the market today, it may be a struggle to find the right one on your own that addresses your organization's unique goals. The expert advice shared in this eBook will help steer you in the right direction.