A question that I still get asked by mature business owners is whether or not they should do pay-per-click (PPC) marketing or not. It's not a simple yes or no question. PPC offers an amazing opportunity to push ads in front of audiences on search, social, and websites that you may not ordinarily reach through organic methods.
What is Pay Per Click Marketing?
PPC is a method of online advertising where the advertiser pays a fee each time their advertisement is clicked. Because it requires a user to actually take action, this method of advertising is quite popular. Marketers can find PPC opportunities across search engines, social media, and a plethora of advertising networks. Unlike traditional ads that are charged a CPM (cost per thousand impressions), PPC charges with a CPC (cost per click). The CTR (click-through rate) is a percentage of how many times users click versus see a PPC ad.
Douglas Karr, Martech Zone
Should you do PPC? Well, I'd recommend having a foundational content library and website with all the bells and whistles before you start spending a ton of money on ads. An exception, of course, is if you're not sure what content will actually produce conversions. Testing keyword combinations and ad copy in PPC can save you a ton of money and time spent on content marketing if you're not sure.
I generally advise clients to get a baseline site, a library of content, some great landing pages, and an email program… then use PPC to augment your overall digital marketing strategy. Over time, you can build your organic leads and use PPC sparingly when you need the leads.
Key PPC Statistics for 2019
- Last year, Google search ad spending grew 23%, shopping ad spending grew 32%, and text ad spending grew by 15%.
- Around 45% of small businesses are actively investing in PPC to grow their operations.
- According to Google research, search ads can boost brand awareness by 80%.
- Sponsored ads take up to 2 out of 3 clicks on the first page of Google.
- Google display campaigns reach more than 90% of Internet users globally.
- Astoundingly, 65% of all customers click through a link to by a certain product.
- Paid search results result in an average of 1.5 times the conversion rates of organic search results.
- In 2017, mobile devices produced 55% of Google search ad clicks.
- 70% of mobile searchers call a business directly from Google Search.
- The average click-through rate on search networks is 3.17%. The average CTR for the top paid result is 8%!
Be sure to check out the entire infographic below for more than 80 other statistics!