Wow. I love it when someone designs a checklist on an infographic that’s both simple and informative. UK Web Host Review designed this infographic to develop a list of features they believe should be included with every business’ online presence.
For your business to succeed online you need to make sure that your website is feature packed! There are many small details that can make all the difference – both in terms of giving customers trust and also giving them extra functions that aid conversions and improve the overall user experience of your site. It makes your business stand apart from the other’s giving you a competitive edge.
This list is for any size business and e-commerce sites should take a look as well. I’ve added quite a few more items in addition to their checklist that you should also include!
In Your Page Header:
- Domain name – that’s easy to read and remember.
- Logo – a visual representation of your business that’s unique.
- TagLine – a concise description of what your business does.
- Phone Number – a clickable phone number (and make sure you answer).
- Call-to-Action – tell visitors what you would like them to do.
- Top Navigation – discreet options to find the top pages on your site.
- Bread Crumb Navigation – help your visitors navigate hierarchically.
Above the Fold:
- Image or Slider – visually display unique selling points and differentiators.
- Reviews and Testimonials – Video is even better to build trust with your visitors.
- Important Business Information – Location, etc.
Below the Fold:
- Quality Content – your unique selling proposition described for visitors and search.
- Main Features – of your products and services.
- Internal Links – to your website’s inner pages.
- Navigation – secondary navigation to common pages.
- Social Media Buttons – assist people in getting to know you via social channels.
- Online Chat Feature – instant communication while the visitor is researching.
- Business Hours – along with your location, this will make sure visitors know when they can visit.
- Contact Information – address, phone number, and/or email address.
- About Us Content – what’s your story?
- Inner Page Content – key product and service offerings in detail.
- Contact form – let visitors know when to expect a response.
- Captcha / Anti-Spam Feature – you’ll be sorry if you don’t!
- FAQ Page – frequently asked questions.
- Blog Page – company news, industry news, advice, and client stories you can share with your audience.
- Comment feature – increase user engagement.
- Search bar – make it easier for visitors to find the information they’re seeking.
- Sidebar – show your latest or most popular blog posts, call-to-action, or related posts.
- Social Media Share – allow users to easily share your articles.
Other Content and Design Points to Consider:
- Easily readable, clean font
- Links that are easy to understand
- Mobile responsive
- Hamburger menu on mobile site
- Use contrasting colors
- Use a spell checker – we love Grammarly!
Search Engine Optimization:
- Title and meta description updates
- Automatic sitemap creation
- Easy to update URL structure
Server and Hosting:
- Fast and reliable hosting – we love Flywheel!
- Automatic website backup feature
Technical Requirements Backend:
- Optimized code for fast page loading
- Use a CMS
- Cross-browser compatibility
- Google Search Console integration
- Google Analytics Integration
- Schema.org integration
- Site Caching
Things to Avoid:
- Use a video hosting service, don’t load videos on your server
- Avoid background music
- Don’t use Flash
- Avoid Click to Enter sites (unless there are age restrictions)
- Do not steal content, images, or other assets
- Do not share confidential information
Additional Items Missed
- Newsletter Signup – Many visitors to your site won’t be ready to purchase but they will subscribe to buy later or keep in touch. Email capture is a critical element for every business!
- CDN – Content Delivery Networks will speed up your site considerably.
- Robots.txt – Let the search engines know what they can and can’t index, and where to find your sitemap. Read: What is Search Engine Optimization?
- Landing Pages – Landing pages are a must have. Destination pages for each motivated visitor who has clicked a call-to-action is critical to your conversion success. Read: 9 Landing Page Mistakes to Avoid
- Videos – Even small businesses can afford basic videos… all you need is your smartphone and you’re good to go! Read: Why Product Video is a Priority and 5 Types of Videos You Should Produce
- Map – Are you registered with Google My Business? You should be for map searches for your business. And I’d encourage you to include a map on your site as well.
- Logo Bar – If you’re a B2B company, having a logo bar is critical so prospects can see who else you’re working with. We built an image rotator widget for this very reason.
- Premium Resources – If you’re not producing premium content like infographics, white papers, and case studies, you’re missing out on a lot of ways to attract visitors to connect with you through your landing pages! Read: The Top Marketing Tactics for Lead Generation
- Mobile Standards – Facebook Instant Articles, Apple News, and Google Accelerated Mobile Pages are new, integrated content standards that you should be publishing. Read: We’re now on Apple News