One of the opportunities for Business to Business (B2B) marketers is to capture traffic for people searching for alternatives. People are researching application purchases or they’re unhappy and wish to leave a vendor – using terms like alternative to, or similar to, or applications like to describe their searches.
Here’s a great example – a search for alternatives to Wufoo:
Formstack took advantage of this search opportunity by building out an outstanding page that describes the head to head benefits of utilizingFormstack over Wufoo. And, of course, since the page is quite relevant they rank very high for it. I’d encourage any marketer to publish internal pages that compare and contrast their applications to their competition. Just be fair so that you don’t get your butt handed to you! 🙂
Additionally, there are quite a few directories out there to ensure that you’re listed:
- alternativeTo – a huge directory of alternative software that has outstanding ranking with search engines (although I find the application rankings and results often aren’t accurate).
- Serchen – a search engine for finding cloud applications… includes reviews.
- GetApp – a business software review site for finding applications.
- moreofit – a directory site that finds websites that are similar. This also includes cloud and Software as a Service applications.
- SimilarSiteSearch – another directory site that finds websites that are similar. This also includes cloud and Software as a Service applications.
Be sure to take advantage of these searches as you promote your new business. Build highly optimized internal pages that promote your applications over your competitors. I’d build a page for each of the top competitors. Additionally, be sure to make your applications are listed in the above alternative search engines and directories. Got any other directories you’d recommend? Add them in the comments!