As marketers, we're often spending time producing new campaigns, but we don't always do a good job looking in the mirror attempting to optimize our current campaigns and processes online. Some of this may just be that it's overwhelming… where do you start? Is there a methodology for conversion rate optimization (CRO)? Well yes… there is.
The team at Conversion Rate Experts has their own C.R.E. Methodology that they share in this infographic they put together with the team at KISSmetrics. The infographic details 9 steps to better conversion rates.
Steps to Optimize Conversion Rates
- Determine The Rules Of The Game – develop your CRO strategy, long-term goals, and how you'll measure success. Start with your visitors in mind and walk through each of the steps that they must take to convert to a customer. Don't make assumptions!
- Understand And Tune Existing Traffic Sources – develop a birds-eye perspective of your digital properties and visualize your sales funnel, where visitors are coming from, which landing pages they arrive on, and how they are navigating your site. Identify the areas that have the greatest opportunity for improvement.
- Understand Your Visitors (particularly non-converting ones) – Don't guess – find out why your visitors aren't converting by understanding different visitor types and intentions, identifying user experience issues, and gathering and understanding visitors' objections.
- Study Your Marketplace – Study your competitors, your competitors, industry expert, and what your customers are saying on social media and on review sites. Then, explore possibilities for improving your positioning by building your company's core strengths.
- Expose The Hidden Wealth In Your Business – Identify which aspects of your company are the most persuasive to potential customers, present those assets at the right time in the buying process, and invest time acquiring, gathering, and displaying those assets.
- Create Your Experimental Strategy – Take all of the ideas that you've generated from your research and prioritize those big, bold, targeted ones that will grow your business in the shortest time. Bold changes give you more profit, and you get quicker larger returns.
- Design Your Experimental Pages – Design and wireframe of the new user experience that is more persuasive, believable, and user-friendly. Carry out several usability tests on the wireframe and discuss them with anyone who has an empathic understanding of your customers.
- Carry Out Experiments On Your Website – Perform A/B tests on your experiments. Follow a procedure that ensures all team members understand what the test is, why you're running it, how it fits into the site, how it aligns with business goals, and how you'll measure success. A/B testing software can calculate, with statistical accuracy, which version is generating more conversions.
- Transfer Your Winning Campaigns Into Other Media – Explore how insights from your winning experiments can be implemented in other parts of your marketing funnel! Headlines can be shared, online wins can be adapted for offline media, and spread the word to your affiliates so they can optimize their campaigns.
Kissmetrics enables marketers to perform Customer Engagement Automation (CEA) by helping them analyze, segment, and engage all in one place with easy-to-read reports and a friendly user interface.