Although developed from the mid-80s, the Internet wasn’t fully commercialized in the United States until 1995 when the last restrictions were dropped in order for the Internet to carry commercial traffic. It’s hard to believe that I’ve been working on the Internet since its commercial inception, but I’ve got the gray hairs to prove it! I’m truly lucky to have worked for a company back then that saw the opportunities and threw me headfirst into the technology.
The number of innovations that the Internet has unleashed is beyond imagination. And today, it’s questionable whether or not you have a business growth strategy without an Internet strategy. Consumers and businesses utilize the Internet every second of every day around the world to sell, buy, research, and educate themselves. It’s the greatest democratized force in human history. Of course, we’ve also seen its downsides in recent years but I’m a firm believer that the good exponentially outweighs the bad… which simply gets publicized more.
Whether you’re an internet user, website owner, or run a business online, it’s important to know what’s ‘going on’ around the internet, what’s trending, and what’s not. In order to help you succeed in 2018, we’ve put together a helpful and interesting selection of internet facts and statistics for you to gawp at, and share with others! Georgie Peru, Top 10 Website Hosting
The infographic, Internet Facts and Statistics for 2018, details the following statistics:
Internet Statistics 2018
- As of 1st January 2018, the total internet users across the world was 4,156,932,140 (that’s over 4 billion users) Tweet This!
- 2 billion of the world’s internet users are located in Asia, where their population is just over equal to the total internet users across the world Tweet This!
- In January 2018, data reveals that 3.2 billion internet users were also social media users Tweet This!
- As of January 2018, the world’s population was estimated to be around 7,634,758,428. Over half of the world’s population is using the internet Tweet This!
- On 10th April 2018, there were over 1.8 billion websites recorded on the internet Tweet This!
- In 2018, China has the most active internet users in the world, at 772 million users. In the year 2000, this figure was around 22.5 million Tweet This!
- Some of 2018’s top Google searches included iPhone 8, iPhone X, How to buy Bitcoin, and Ed Sheeran Tweet This!
Social Media Statistics 2018
- As of January 2018, Facebook alone had 2.2 billion monthly active users. Facebook was the first social media website to reach over 1 billion accounts Tweet This!
- YouTube users in 2018 have surpassed the 1.5 billion mark, making YouTube the most popular website for viewing and uploading videos in the world Tweet This!
- There are now over 3.1 billion social media users worldwide in 2018, which is an increase of around 13% compared to 2017 Tweet This!
- Comparing January 2018 to January 2017 figures, Saudi Arabia is the country with the largest social media usage increase at an estimated 32% Tweet This!
- Instagram is most popular in the USA and Spain accounting for around 15% of total social media usage in these countries in 2018 Tweet This!
- In France, Snapchat is the second most popular social media user account in 2018, with around 18% of users countrywide Tweet This!
- Facebook continues to be the fastest growing social media network, with around 527 million increase in users over the last 2 years, followed closely by WhatsApp and Instagram at 400 million Tweet This!
- In 2018, 90% of businesses are using social media actively Tweet This!
- 91% of social media users are using their mobile phones, tablets, and smart devices to access social media channels Tweet This!
- Nearly 40% of users would prefer to spend more money on companies and businesses who are engaging on social media Tweet This!
Websites and Web Hosting Statistics 2018
- As of 2018, WordPress powers 28% of the world wide web with over 15.5 billion page views each month Tweet This!
- Apache hosting servers are used by 46.9% of all available websites, followed closely by Nginx at 37.8% Tweet This!
- 2018 sees 52.2% of website traffic accessed and generated via mobile phones Tweet This!
- In the last 5 years, since 2013, website traffic accessed by mobile phones has increased by 36% Tweet This!
- As of January 2018, Japan’s share of website traffic mainly comes from laptops and desktop computers at a measured 69%, compared to 27% on mobile phones Tweet This!
- With over a billion voice search queries per month, voice is estimated to be a high trending digital marketing strategy in 2018 Tweet This!
- Google is the most popular search engine and visited website recorded in 2018, with over 3.5 billion searches each day Tweet This!
- Website loading times are now considered a ranking factor in Google. Tweet This!
eCommerce Statistics 2018
- In the U.K. for 2018, ZenCart has the biggest market share with over 17% of .uk web address extensions using the software provider Tweet This!
- In the U.S. as of February 2018, over 133 million mobile users used the Amazon app, compared to 72 million users accessing the Walmart app Tweet This!
- Nearly 80% of online shopping results in abandoned carts Tweet This!
- 2018 sees a 13% increase in eCommerce sales since 2016, with the majority of sales being recorded in the U.S. and China Tweet This!
- 80% of U.K buyers use online commerce research before purchasing a product online or offline Tweet This!
- Under 33% of U.K. consumers want to pay more for faster delivery, but 50% said they would be willing to accept delivery via drone Tweet This!
- An estimated 600,000 commercial drones will be in use by the end of 2018 in the U.K. alone Tweet This!
Domain Name Statistics 2018
- As of April 2018, there are just over 132 million registered .com domain names Tweet This!
- In the month of January 2018 alone, there were 9 million registered .uk domains Tweet This!
- 68 million copyright infringing URLs were requested to be removed by Google in January 2018, with 4shared.com being the highest targeted website Tweet This!
- 46.5% of websites use .com as their top-level domains Tweet This!
- Approximately 75% of websites registered are not active but have parked domains Tweet This!
- From 1993 to 2018, the number of hosts in the domain name system (DNS) has more than doubled, reaching over 1 billion Tweet This!
Here’s the full infographic!