Salons invest a lot in their location, their staff and specialists, their equipment, and their products. However, one thing they often neglect to invest in is their marketing campaigns. How can the clients find your fantastic salon otherwise?
Although marketing can be a tricky thing to master, it is still manageable, and there is no need to be intimidated. There are lots of marketing ideas tried and tested for salons that work well in attracting clients and improving customer retention.
If you’re a struggling salon owner looking to beef up their marketing programs, then read on to find out what marketing ideas you can do to secure more clients.
- Offer refer-a-friend program – One way to increase the number of your clientele is by working with the ones you already have. You may be wondering how. Well, through a referral program of course. A referral program is a program targeting your current customers. This marketing idea encourages your customers to refer a friend to your salon by giving them discounts for each successful referral accomplished. The good thing about a referral program is that people are more likely to act on a referral than a cold call or email from you. When the recommendation comes from a trusted and a close source, it is more likely to receive the attention of new clients. Referred customers are found to be more loyal than ordinary customers. Another plus is that they are more receptive to using your salon products and services.
- Form partnerships with other businesses – There are many ways one can innovate with their business. One way to be on top of the competition is by collaborating with other businesses. Too often do we neglect the potential of collaborating with other businesses and how it can drive more traffic and revenue for both of your business. As a salon, you can collaborate with a lot of businesses. Depending on the locale, you can collaborate with businesses that are also in the beauty industry with you. For example, you can connect with your preferred massage place, or maybe you want to collaborate with a spa. With this marketing idea, you can tap into not only your clientele but to the other business’ clientele as well. It will be a win-win situation for both of your businesses plus the clients as well because of the deals they are getting.
- Offer salon promotions – Who doesn’t love a discount? This is why discounts, sales, and promotions are always a time-tested marketing scheme that works well for any business. Your sales promotions can depend on a lot of factors. It can be for first-time visitors, or maybe for specific holidays. Perhaps you can even set-up a payday discount or a weekly sale. With salon promotions, you can increase traffic for your salon and increase bookings. Of course, when you’ve got an increase in bookings, the more likely you are to generate sales so a well-executed salon promotion can boost revenue as well.
- Utilize social media marketing – The beauty community is thriving on social media lately and it is important that salon owners make use of this. Always set up a social media account for your salon to make it easy for your salon to be discovered by more interested patrons. Once you’ve got a working account on different social media platforms, don’t forget to market your business. Modify your advertising and social marketing strategies based on each platform for a more personalized experience for users. Take advantage of the primarily photo-based sharing platform of Instagram and post amazing looks to get the attention of interested customers. Optimize your hashtags and keywords so that you are getting the right kind of attention.
- Get more connected through email marketing – When it comes to marketing your business online, don’t neglect to market your business through email-based campaigns. This is to cover for the customers who don’t follow your social media accounts but have given their email to you. The benefit of using an email marketing campaign is that you get a lot of results for a cheap price. Also, you can use email marketing to execute some of the marketing ideas previously mentioned. For example, you can send emails with embedded referral links to encourage customers to refer a friend for a discount. You can also promote a sale or a promotion to unaware customers via their email. All this and more can be done through email and you can optimize this process by making use of a salon inventory management system.
- Use scheduling software – Using scheduling software to book appointments at your salon can help optimize the process and make it more convenient to schedule availabilities for both your staff and your clients. There are many features for clients and staff to take advantage of when using this kind of software. One feature that makes booking an appointment easier is the real-time calendar updates that customers can view online. This makes it easier for customers to decide when they want to schedule their appointments for their preferred treatments. Aside from that, scheduling software can remind your customers of appointments that they have set at your salon. If the clients have to cancel, at least you won’t be notified on the day of. This can allow you to free up the time to accept another appointment.
- Join in local activities – One thing that a lot of salons don’t make use of is the local community. The best salons have some sort of relationship with the community because, after all, that’s where most of their business comes from. This is why salons should do their best to join in on local activities. Whether the events are for holidays or maybe for fashion shows, merely showing your support can make your business’ name spread out there and increase your clientele.
- Give back to your community – Speaking of joining in on local activities, one way to make a relationship with the locals is by giving back to the community. Maybe ask for the local authorities on ways that you can help the community. Maybe you can provide free haircuts to the homeless. Maybe you can help fund a charity event happening in the future. This is a wholesome way of engaging with new potential clients that warms the heart.
- Get your salon listed in online directories – Recent statistics have shown that a majority of mobile users search for a business online or a product online before visiting the store. This is why you need to make your business as detectable and findable as possible. One way to do that is by listing your business on online directories such as on Yelp or on Google Business. This way, interested patrons can easily locate your salon and identify your opening hours and the services you provide.
- Make use of retargeting ads – Once a customer visited your site, whether or not they end up with a purchase, it is easier to make them convert than newer customers who have never interacted with your brand at all. To target these kinds of customers, it is best to make use of retargeting ads. If you’ve just launched a new product or treatment, then check the list of previous customers who are most likely to be interested in them and target them with the ads for said product/treatment.
Marketing your salon doesn’t have to mean spending big bucks on billboards or posting flyers around town. There are a lot of actionable marketing ideas that you could do today.
It is all about being in touch with your target market as well as opening your salon up to the local community. Don’t wait any longer before you start implementing these marketing strategies so that you can optimize them to be even better as soon as possible.